A mysterious package

I'm woken to a knock on the door. It scares the shit out of me. I can't remember the last time I had a visitor. I take my time getting out of bed, getting dressed and making my way to the front door in my tidy and neglected "living" room. I'm hoping that by the time I make it there, whoever is there, will feel dejected and leave.

I tiptoe across the floor, trying to not make a sound to perpetuate the idea that no one is home. I listen carefully for a second knock that never comes. How odd that this stranger at my doorstep hasn't knocked a subsequent time. I make it to the front door. I peek out through one of the side windows. There's nobody to be seen. I sigh in relief. I know there are people who love visitors. I'm quite the opposite, I dread the idea of a visitor, even the accidental, have the wrong house variety. I wonder to myself if I imagined the knock at the door.

Next I open the door, just to be sure nobody is there or perhaps hiding waiting to ambush me. I open the door slowly and persistently wider, slowly exposing myself to the outside world. I look around and see nobody, however out the bottom peripheral of my eye I see a box. I look down to examine it. I check the shipping label to identify the name on the package. To my surprise it is labeled to me. "I didn't order anything," I think to myself. I grab the box and slam the door shut, locking it immediately.

I study the package a moment and then lay it down on the floor inside the front door. I'm staring at this anomaly confused as to it's origin and the reason for it's arrival at my door. I think about opening it. But I can't bring myself to. I'm just too perplexed about it's contents and reasoning for showing up. I'll have to think about this and decide if I wanna take the chance of solving the mystery of what's inside or if I should simply tearing the label off and throw it off a cliff.