Chapter 1

[Carla's POV]

"Come on, can't you just give me this information?" I asked the person on the other line of the phone. 

"Carla, you know how I operate. Follow the rules or no clues for you," a familiar, muffled voice said calmly. 

"I know, but can't you just break the rules once for old time's sake?" I asked, trying to appeal to him emotionally.

"No. If I don't give you this information, it won't kill you. Bye for now, Carla."  

Just like that, the call ended.

I dropped my phone and laced my fingers together as I thought about the phone call.

I had just called my main source of information, the most trusted and reliable source I know, my ex-best friend.  

Yeah, that's right. He was my best friend who had been together with me since we were babies but had disappeared 5 years ago. He anonymously contacted me 4 years ago when I started my work as a detective.  

He would give me clues about cases I was working on, or just random information that would be important in the future. At first, I didn't trust him, after all, his voice was muffled and he hid his identity, but after his clues and information were proven genuine, he became my main source. I later found out that he was Kyle, my ex-best friend. 

He didn't bother to hide it when I asked him if he was Kyle, he revealed himself to me but never told me why he left or where he got his information from. He only had 3 rules that I must follow if I wanted to receive any information from him; 

1) I receive information/clues if he feels like it and contacts me randomly. 

2) If the information is deemed extremely important, something that can change the city as it is. 

3) If I would lose my life without the information. 

I asked him for something that was bothering me about this case but he decided that it didn't comply with the rules. 

After figuring out that the crimes were connected, I realized something: The people always came to steal something and managed to escape without the items they stole. If this was all a conspiracy for one big crime, then the items they stole are crucial to the crime, so why will they escape without them?  

I arrived at that conclusion after debating on this: The items must have been duplicated before I returned them! 

According to the information I collected about the cases, my clients always came to me after 2 or 3 days since the items were stolen which is more than enough time for the items to have been duplicated! 

The only gadget made that can duplicate things are with three secured organizations, guarded severely, so how could they have taken both the duplicating machine and also had time to duplicate all the materials without alerting security? The mastermind must have been an inside spy who had come in contact with the machine or had someone else be the inside spy to make his duplicating machine! 

I smiled at my deduction but couldn't be sure of it because I need evidence to prove it.  

I would have gone to my other sources but the best one who can get such a piece of huge and important information is Kyle and he won't help me. 

I sighed as I brushed my bangs away from my face before sitting on the cushion. 

It doesn't concern me if there is a mastermind behind this, but the person had involved me through the cases. I have to find the person and ruin the plan to protect my business, after all, who knows if my clients will decide to put the blame on me after seeing their exact items in another place or collect part of the money for not finding all the culprits involved? 

Normally, half of my money goes to the orphanage homes or charity houses, a quarter of the money is placed in my secured account which people don't know is mine, and the remaining quarter will go to my main account or be kept as cash. With how I split my money, my clients will at most get a quarter of the money they gave me, but it will still damage my reputation. Just imagine if people start thinking I don't take my job seriously and reduce the amount of money they give me!  

I chuckled at my childish thought and got up to get some croissants. After brewing coffee, I took it together with the croissants. I sighed in delight at the taste and relaxed into my chair. I really need this coffee. This case I handed to myself might prove difficult and if I don't have the strength to solve it, it would be disastrous, but first things first, I need to get to the most likely organization that could have the inside spy. 

Once I finished my little lunch, I made my way to the mirror, checking myself before I leave. 

I looked average with my mid-length black hair and blue eyes though some people had complimented my blue eyes saying that it reminded them of the ocean and that my black hair was really beautiful and silky. Even if my features might be common, I still love myself either way and I can't imagine myself looking any different than I am now. I feel perfect as I am, especially when I am wearing my detective clothes.

I smiled at my appearance and loaded my pistol before tucking it away under my skirt. 

In a world where I deal with criminals daily, a girl has got to be careful. 

I left my office as I made my way to my destination: FBI's headquarters. 

I had solved some cases for them on several occasions. There were even times I solved their cases for an extremely low price and so, they owed me countless favours.  

I easily got in, even with my gun since I had a permission slip from the head of the FBI. 

I smiled and made my way towards his office. 

"Nice to see you again, Director Adams," I said, smiling as I sat down on the chair opposite him. 

"Carla, such a pleasure to meet you again. What brings you here today? Is it because of the recent crimes that have been happening all over the city?" A handsome middle-aged man asked with a smile on his face. 

"Yes, I also found out a few things." 

I told him about my suspicions about the duplicating machine and the mastermind. I trust him enough to tell him all this, after all, he was the one who mostly handed me the cases to solve and Kyle had approved of him. If Kyle says something, trust it cause in some cases that I could only solve half of it on my own, he can solve the remaining half without breaking a sweat. 

"Hmm... This seems like a big problem. I will assign the top agent to work with you, Secret agent..." 

"Chris," I completed for him as he chuckled. 

"I won't even bother to ask how you knew one of our most secured agent's name," he said still chuckling. 

I joined in and smiled. 

"Well, don't ask then. After all, a detective never reveals her secret."