Telefono

Sungjae's feet walked fast.

He tried to put as much space as he could between him and the house where his family was currently lounging around.

They had been having a nice barbeque or getting together to celebrate his return to the States.

When Lorraine handed him his cell phone, he did not think much about it.

He thought it was a regular call until he saw the caller ID.

Panic.

That's what he felt.

It had come crashing down on him out of nowhere.

He had swiftly snatched the little device out of the smaller woman, a look of disgust and disdain on his face as he marched out of the house.

He had no idea where he was going, but he needed to be out of earshot.

He did not take the car; it did not cross his mind; besides, Lorraine had the keys, and he did not have the energy to deal with her and her prodding questions.

The more he walked, the deeper he dug into the neighbourhood he had found himself in.

He was supposed to be familiar with the area, but no such feelings of familiarity came to him.

The phone was still ringing, and the vibrations were incessant and erratic, just like his heart was beating.

Sungjae soon saw himself at an old children's park.

There was no one there but himself.

He was not surprised; it was now approaching evening, and the sky had begun changing colour. The sign of an impending sunset is showing across the sky.

Sungjae settled on top of a random bench.

He placed his cell phone on his lap, staring at the name display for a good 5 minutes, his breath finally evening out with every flying minute.

He closed his eyes for a second, swallowing the lump that formed at the back of his throat and wordlessly swiping away at the green answer button before placing it on his right ear.

Silence

All he heard was silence.

He was sure he had answered the call correctly, as he could actually feel the little crinkly noise of the line being connected to his ear.

All of a sudden, a raspy voice was heard speaking.

"- 你做了?" (Nǐ zuòle ma)

"Did you do it?"

Sungjae sighed, his voice trembling as he replied in English.

"No, not yet."

A sudden crash was heard on the line.

Definitely, some broken glass and furniture had been thrown against the wall.

"What are you waiting for?" asked the voice, anger clearly laced in her tone.

"I need time," he replied, his voice candid.

"I need more time. I am still trying to get used to things here. There's too much to do, please." His tone turned softer as he begged her.

A 'tsk' sound was heard coming from her.

Before she evilly muttered, "-useless," referring to his lack of progress

A gulping sound was heard, followed by a sound of satisfaction. The woman was clearly drinking.