Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Wednesday came quicker than I expected. Maddie has been counting down the time for me whenever she could after I unintentionally told her about my “date”. I don’t even want to remember how that happened.

“Hey Lydia. Your date is tonight!” Maddie squealed as I flicked over yet another page of “The killer of the Mocking Bird” that we are assigned to read for English Literature.

I groaned, “Please don’t remind me.”

“I hate to tell you this, but it’s five minutes to six. You know what that means, don’t you?” she asked teasingly.

I let out an annoyed groan, “Shit.” I muttered, jumped off my comfy spot on the bed and dragged myself towards the closet.

“I still don’t get why you are so reluctant to go out with him tonight. You know most girls would kill to be in your position. I mean look at him, he is one hot piece of ass. Girls dig for him.” Maddie stated for the one-hundredth time, flicking through this month’s gossip magazine.

“I'm not one of those girls Maddie ,” I replied, putting on my black jeans and grey hoodie with blue writing over my black tee, “plus you have a boyfriend.” I added.

She scoffed, “So? That doesn’t impair my judgment of the opposite sex.” she said in defence, “Plus, I said he was hot. I’m merely complimenting his physical appearance.” and continued reading the magazine. The knocking of the door echoed around the room as I was putting on my scarf, indicating Tyler’s presence outside of the dorm. As I predicted, Maddie ran for the door.

I could hear faint voices murmuring by the door, mainly Maddie’s, while I was putting my hair up in a messy bun. When I finished getting ready and about to face the blackmailing devil, Maddie appeared in front of me. After she took one look at me, and noticed my tight smile, she ushered me out of the bathroom, “Enjoy looking at his messy dark blond locks, beautiful brown eyes, and that cute smile.” She mocked and let out a blissful sigh. With her enthusiasm, you could easily mistake her to be the one going on a date.

I held back the urge to roll my eyes, “We are merely going as friends Maddie. Actually, scratch that. We aren’t even friends.”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say.”

Tyler was standing by the door, humming a tune to himself when I approached him. “Hey Look! We match!” was the first thing he said once he saw me, with the grin that highlights his face there as usual, gesturing towards his blue hooded jacket and the dark blue writing on mine.

 “Yeah, in the most obvious way.” My voice laced with sarcasm as I replied to his observation.

“You ready to go?”

I mumbled, “Do I have a choice?” following him towards the front door. He chuckled at my comment.