Chapter 3

Seto takes a deep breath as he reaches out and opens the door to the staff room. It's early morning and the only one here is Mai. Sitting at the table sipping coffee, it's almost like he's here for an interview. She looks up, momentarily surprised before her face settles into a light glare. "Kaiba,"

"Seto is fine," Mr Kaiba was his father, Kaiba isn't even his name. He wishes he remembered his old name, then he'd do what Katsuya did and change it back to his parents' last name.

"Seto," Mai purses her lips, looking him over with scrutiny. How is a teacher so intimidating to him? "What do you want? I assume you're here to talk about Jou?"

He nods. "Yes, may I sit?"

Mai gestures towards the chair and he does. "I assume he told you about the phone call,"

"I was listening to it live, from his end," she shrugs. "He was very upset. It sounded like you were pressuring him,"

Seto winces, he never meant to hurt Katsuya's feelings. It's uncomfortable and awkward to bring up with Mai, but he asks, "How do I make it better?" He's been thinking about the phone call since last night, and hasn't slept once again.

"Why do you want to make it better?" she frowns, her gaze becoming cold and unforgiving. "Jou moved on from you, he could have been happy with someone else and now you're back. Why are you back?"

"There's a terr-"

"That's not what I mean," she fixes him with a look that tells him she isn't backing down.

Sunrise peaks over the horizon, the sea glittering through the window. It bathes Seto in a deep orange hue, and Mai sees how beautiful he is. She understands Katsuya's attraction to his personality type, he isn't so different to her. That doesn't mean he isn't a total asshole.

"I'm back because I want to make it right with Katsuya. I know you don't like me, but will you help me do that at least?"

She shakes her head, as if severely disappointed. The next sip of coffee she takes is long and strained. "It isn't about wether or not I like you - and I don't. All I want is for Jou to be happy, and I'll protect him from any threat because he's my friend, understand?"

"I don't want to hurt him, I'm not a threat,"

"You just being here hurts him," she scoffs. "You really thought you weren't bringing back memories he'd rather forget?"

"I want to help him get over that," And also, maybe I like him.

"Well, one way you can help him is by leaving,"

He stares at the table to avoid her disapproving glare. He realises he and Mai are quite similar. With a sigh, he finally looks up. "Alright," He stands, buttoning the top button on his white blazer. "I'll leave," 

There's no need to stay. He can conduct his investigation remotely with his drones. Walking back to his bedroom, his strides are quick and determined, afraid that a single waver off-course will give him an excuse to stay.

But that excuse is right in front of him when he turns the corner onto his floor of the dorm rooms. Katsuya is sitting on the floor in front of his room, blocking the door. When the blonde sees Seto standing before him, he stands up too. "I knocked, but you were out. Where were you?"

"I was working, that's what I'm here to do - work," He needs to be sharp with Katsuya, he needs to make the teacher hate him again before he leaves. That way, he won't miss Seto this time. Seto won't let him be hurt again. The blonde doesn't move, simply folds his arms over his chest.