CHAPTER 11

Written In The Stars

Mikhel's POV

"Why does it hurt so much?!"

I saw Valerie walk out of the venue, she did not look okay. She ran out, in a hurry, putting her hand on her chest as if she's feeling hurt there. I went out to check if she was alright but then she took the stairs up to the rooftop. I followed her from behind, making sure she's fine. A part of me thinks I should stop following her but I can't, I had to see that she's okay, that she isn't suffering there. When I got to the rooftop, I saw her standing there, looking frail and she was crying. Asking various questions while looking up.

She started crying, her sobs were breaking my heart. I couldn't stand seeing her like that. She was broken and I wanted to be by her side, I don't want to leave her just like what I did to her before. I want her to know and to feel that I won't leave anymore, that I would be with her this time. I tried to run closer to her but I know she would just push me away, it felt wrong to hear her vent and to hear her cry without doing anything. I could have helped her but I know she needed to be alone.

"I'm sorry if I'm selfish..." She said while crying. Who could have hurt her like this? What could have made her cry like this? I had to step in, it was cold and she was just there, looking up and she was sobbing the entire time. I longed to embrace her, I wished for her warmth again. I want to be her oasis again, I'd give what I have just to see her happy with me again and somehow, it felt the same... I felt selfish too. I understood her. "Why are you here?"

When Valerie faced me, she was in shock. I don't know how to explain, it was true, I felt bad for listening to her. I know it should have been a private moment, I must have scared her. I looked into her eyes when we both stopped to stare at each other, I noticed how her eyes were so gloomy. There was pain in her eyes but there was also love, like she was feeling pain because she is so in love. Someone must've broke her heart, and that person broke it in a million pieces.

The love in her eyes never faded even if she was in pain, it's like she was willing to get hurt even more because she loved that person too much. It hurts me seeing her that way, I want her to feel like she has someone beside her. She has me to lean on when she's weak, and I know that right now she needs someone by her side, she just doesn't want to let anyone see her like that. I know her well to understand how she feels.

"It's worth a shot..." That's what I said before she completely walked away, out of my sight. I stayed at the rooftop for a while, to think about what happened earlier. It was obvious from the start and I know it wasn't impossible for her to fall in love with Tyler. It wasn't hard for me to connect the dots when it was about them, he has always been Val's friend and I know how much she cared for him. I whispered to myself... "How am I ever going to compete with that?"

I am aggrieved because I already had her before, I had the opportunity to make her feel the love I ought to give her but then I blew all of it away. I had to leave but my heart didn't want to. I just had to choose the right thing to do at that time, I had to be there for my parents. They were right, we made the right decision, we had to regain everything we lost back then. I partly blamed my father for what happened, if he didn't indulged himself in gambling, we wouldn't have lost the company.

But I can't say it straight to his face, I cannot tell him how badly it affected me. How his horrible habits left marks and scars in my life, that my regrets were caused by him. My Mom had no idea, she knew nothing about what my Dad did to lose the company. I was there, I saw everything and witnessed how he easily wasted what he had worked hard for. As young as I was, I understood everything. I saw how he carelessly threw a good life away. It was all because he gambled.