11. Establish a writing routine

We won't go on about the importance of this step — we all know that to make progress on any kind of goal, working on it must become a part of our regular routine. Since we're all on the same page here, we'll jump straight to our tips for making that happen:
Set up Non-Negotiable Writing Time. Or, , NNWT. The keywords here are "non-negotiable." This is a period of time, whether it's once a day or once a week, that you commit to writing, and only writing. Unless there is an emergency, you do not schedule anything else during your NNWT.Quantify Your Progress. Set realistic goals (maybe a word count or number of pages to hit) that you can achieve and then celebrate those "little wins." Breaking up the task of writing a novel into bite-sized steps, and then acknowledging when you take those steps, will not only make the process more manageable, but also just more fun. Of course, if you're under some time pressure, you might be more concerned about writing quickly — in which case, .Brag. If you received a promotion at work, you would celebrate it, or at the very least share the good news with others. As you make progress on your novel, talk about it with others. This will help keep you accountable — if you share with others, they're more likely to ask for updates.

After you finish your first draft...

If you've just finished your first draft, your next step should absolutely involve party poppers and cake — or some kind of celebratory treat, because that's a huge accomplishment. But of course, the work is far from over.

Writing the first iteration of your manuscript is all about just getting the words down on paper. Now it's time to start turning those words into a memorable story.