Chapter One

The Stranger

It's been so long, but now I have finally found what I've been looking for. It didn't take me long at all, I thought it would have taken me months, even years. That said, all the information is out there, you've just got to grab it while you can. Facebook and Instagram accounts that are not private, addresses on the internet that are out there for everybody to see. I don't consider myself a manipulative, vindictive or unstable person, I am actually the sanest person in my family. If you knew anything about my family or what happened before I was born and the years during my childhood you would probably feel sorry for me. Right now I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy or pity, my entire life has been one lie after another and I have finally had enough. I am here and I am ready to confront all of these people that have taken so much from me, it's about time those responsible paid and learnt some lessons for what they did all those years ago. I am nervous but there's no going back now, this is it.

The Son

Shit, I am getting married in two months. I am very excited don't get me wrong, but there is still so much left to plan and we are nowhere near ready to walk down that aisle as of yet. I take out the wedding rings that I picked up this morning from Tiffany's, mine is just a plain silver platinum style ring, while hers is an eternity ring with diamonds and sapphires on a platinum band. Even though this is the most stressful time of my life, well apart from when my daughter Ella was born, I couldn't imagine marrying any other person than Lizzie. She is my soulmate and I have loved her since we were kids. We spent most of our summer holidays together, Christmases, birthday's and any big major events that took place within our family circle's we were together. There is an age gap of eight years between us, which is something that did not go down well with our parents when we first went public with our relationship. Especially with Lizzie being seventeen when she found out that she was pregnant with our baby and I was twenty-five at the time, we've proved them all wrong though and we've been together five years now. She moved to New York from L.A so that we could be together through the pregnancy and start our new life together as parents. Those months were the happiest times of my life, finally living with this girl that I loved and adored for so many years, and we were finally doing things our way rather than listening to the opinions of everyone else around us. Our families are very close, you would say that we are all like one big extended family. As claustrophobic as it can be at times I know for a fact that there will always be someone there that will have my back through thick and thin. God knows how many times they've bailed me out of tricky and somewhat dangerous situations, especially my dad's best friend, Adam Sackler. He's like the godfather when it comes to saving my arse. I look around my Brooklyn apartment I share with my little family and Sophie, the live-in Nanny for our daughter, and think to myself, wow, I cannot believe I achieved this all on my own. My parents have always tried to help me out with money, college and buying my own place, but like my soon to be sister-in-law Becky, I wanted to achieve it all by myself and I have done. My mom and dad split up when I was seven and it affected me big time, I still think that it plays a part in my life now, especially since I've become a parent and I have sworn to myself that I won't let my daughter come from a broken home. Lizzie and I have had our fair share of troubles along the way, especially during those first few months of parenthood, but we love each other undoubtedly and I know that I'm going to spend the rest of my life with her. I am desperate for a second baby but Lizzie is totally against the idea, especially as our daughter is not in the best way at this present moment. Our main priority is making sure Ella gets the best possible care and treatment for her sleep apnea, so any plans for future babies have been firmly put on hold for now. I want a baby boy so that we have one of each, me and my sister are very close even though there is an age gap between us, I wanted a sibling so badly when I was growing up and I was thrilled when my dad announced that him and his girlfriend were having a baby of their own. My phone rings and it distracts me from my thoughts, bringing me right back down to reality. It's probably one of the new producers at the theater, he's constantly calling me at every possible opportunity. I can't get too frustrated though, as we all have to start somewhere and it's hard to get decent producers here in New York. Work is constantly busy, there's not enough hours in the day and sometimes my work impedes into my home life with the family. Something which I am trying to put an end to, but this is the career path I've chosen, Lizzie often says that I'm just like my father and she isn't wrong there, we are like two peas in a pod. Both stubborn, hotheaded, ambitious but fiercely protective and loving family men. Not to mention that we are both theatre directors, my dad still works at his theatre company Exit Ghost, which he tried to get me involved with, but I stuck to my guns, now I am the director of my own company and run the Hudson Theatre in Times Square. I try to put  on my best friendly professional voice and answer the phone, "Hello, Henry Barber speaking?"