Chapter 4 : Saving Galo

Lio ran to the firefighting training grounds. It was really bad. Everyone there seemed stunned and unsure of what to do. He looked around for Galo but didn't spot him. He walked up to the instructor of the class.

"Hello, sir" Lio said to get the instructor's attention "Where is Galo?" The instructor pointed at the fire and Lio's heart dropped. That idiot actually went through with the stupid gel plan, didn't he? He thought, and immediately ran into the burning forest without looking back.

He was running. Everything around him was covered in neon fire and smoke. He probably inhaled way too much of it but that wasn't his top worry.

He just wanted to make sure Galo was okay

He continued running but something stopped him. He spotted Galo laying on the ground, seeming exhausted and quite literally burnt out. Lio quickly ran over to his blue haired roommate.

"Galo, you good?" He asked. Galo didn't respond. His eyes were barely opened. He had probably gotten hurt by the flames, not to mention that like 90% of the air surrounding them was billowing smoke, thick enough to cut with a knife. Not the kind of thing you want to be breathing. But, here they were.

Lio called for help and soon Varys ran over. The two (mostly Varys) picked up Galo and brought him out of the forest. The other firefighter trainees looked shocked to see his burnt, unconscious body. "Is he okay!?" Aina asked, concerned

Lio checked the blue haired idiot's pulse, and was relieved to feel it beating. "He'll be fine" Lio responded "We should get him to a hospital, though" He said. Ignis nodded and went aside to call an ambulance. The instructor was panicking about losing his job. None of it mattered to Lio though. He just wanted to figure out how to get rid of the fire and make sure Galo was okay. Not because he cared about Galo or anything. Of course not. He was just decent enough to not want him dead. Totally.

Vulcan looked angry and a little menacing. Lio was a bit frightened by how evil he looked. "You okay?" Lio asked the big man quietly, afraid of having his spine ripped out if he so much as breathed the wrong way.

"This fire was no accident" Vulcan said. Lio was confused. Surely he must be joking. If this was intentional, surely someone on the training grounds would have seen the wrong doer. Lio laughed "You're joking, right?"

Vulcan wasn't laughing

Lio immediately shut his mouth and gave the man a concerned look. "Neon flames ain't no accident" Vulcan stated "At least not flames this wild. This was certainly a burnish attack, I tell ya" Lio was confused. No burnish went to the school. Or if they did they would never be so wreckless as to reveal themselves like this. "How can you be so sure?" Lio asked the older man. "That's all the burnish know" Vulcan said matter of factly. "They aren't people like the rest of us. They are heartless fire starting machines that feed off of destruction and pain. No person- hell, not even nature could take a small controlled fire and make it an inferno so quickly"

Lio didn't know how he felt about that. This man seemed to really hate burnish, but it didn't seem fair to Lio. The burnish are mutated, sure, but not evil. They were no different then, say, a person with a mental illness. Sure, they're a bit different but not some inhuman monster.

But, Vulcan also seemed right about the fire... No average person or winds could escalate a small fire so quickly...

The fire was still raging though, getting closer to the school. He looked at Vulcan and saw a big ice gun at his side. "I never got your name" Lio said "Name's Vulcan." He replied "What about you, twig?"

Lio was a little annoyed at the nickname but replied "Lio" anyways. "Vulcan, do you think you can ice this fire?" he asked. Vulcan got a wicked grin. "With pleasure"