10. 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

CHAPTER TEN.
finally eighteen

Angeline never liked to make a big deal of her birthday-- until the day finally arrived. When she woke up, the only thing she could hear was the whirring of the fan above her head and some birds tweeting outside. A giddy feeling spread across her chest like a child on Christmas day, the idea that she was finally eighteen being insane to her.

The fact that she was officially an adult was a hard concept for her to wrap her head around because she definitely didn't feel that old. It felt like last week that she was getting ready for her first day of year seven, but that was seven whole years ago now. She'd grown up quickly. Soon, she was off to one of the best colleges in the world and she'd be living her own life.

As soon as she got out of the shower, Angeline heard her phone buzzing from the countertop and did a mad dash towards it. With a towel wrapped around her body and another one in her dark hair, she answered the call from her mother excitedly.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," she sang poorly down the phone just like she did every single year. "Happy birthday dear Angel, happy birthday to you!"

Angeline chuckled. "Thanks, mumma."

"I can't believe my baby's finally eighteen," her mother released a dramatic sigh. "It feels like yesterday I was holding your hand and taking you to preschool."

A small smile crossed the girl's face. "I know. It's weird, I don't really feel eighteen."

"Any plans for the big day? Is your dad taking you out for dinner?"

"Ur, probably not, I think Paige is organising a get together at her place, so," Angeline spoke casually, knowing her father most likely wouldn't even remember that she was eighteen today.

"Well, I transferred some money into your account because I wasn't sure what to get you," her mother said.

"Thanks, mum."

The mother and daughter only spoke a few minutes longer before Angeline said she should start to get ready for school. She blow dried her hair and did some loose curls and her usual makeup routine and put on the white summer dress that made her feel like she should be in Italy on vacation, as well as a pair of Vans that matched.

Angeline was ready earlier than usual, grabbing her backpack and jogging down the staircase where she found Mr Lewis and Elliot getting ready for the day. The brunette pretended not to see them as she grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, eyeing them out of the corner of her eye to see if they even paid attention to her.

"Angeline, you'll need to be home tonight. We're having another meal with Renolds, as respect for all of the extra hours he's been putting in recently," Mr Lewis said and Angeline nearly dropped the fruit in her hand in disbelief.

"I can't," she said, making her brother look at her strangely. "I have a thing I need to do tonight."

She waited for a 'happy birthday' that never seemed to come. Mr Lewis glared at her slightly, adjusting the glasses on the bridge of his nose.

"It can't be any more important than this."

"It is," Angeline glared back with just as much fire. "It's important to me."

"Just be home at eight," Mr Lewis huffed before he was heading out of the kitchen door, his son right behind him.

She wasn't really sure what she was expecting, and even though Angeline despised the two men, it would have been nice to hear a happy birthday from her father and brother. Angeline took a hefty bite of the red apple, staring in the space that they had been as she chewed it bitterly.