Chapter 1

Jessica:

                 I woke up in my bed with a slight throbbing in my neck. I must have slept on it wrong because when I looked in the mirror there was no mark. I quickly dressed in a gown Maharet laid out for me last night and walked down to the dinning room. I sat at the long table that could fit a clan of people and Maharet's maid served me breakfast. "It must be hard for you, you know, having someone like Maharet as an aunt." The maid told me. I was confused, I thought she was insulting my aunt. "What do you mean someone like her?" I asked. The  maids brows shot up in surprise. "Begin' your pardon Miss. It wasn't my place." She told me politely and excused herself after she placed a pitcher of juice on the table. I ate my breakfast alone, Maharet and the others that lived in her house kept odd schedules.

               The day went by fairly long, there was no one to keep me company but when the sun went down Maharet and other's emerged from their rooms. "How was your day, Dear?" Maharet asked me, sipping a cup of tea. "I spent most of it in the library. I've never seen so many books in my life." I told her with a smile. I loved everything about books even the dust. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." She told me, her smile always crinkled her eyes at the corners. Maharet's company was always fascinated with me. "You actually go into a man's home alone?" One asked, like he was admiring my bravery. Others kept handing me glasses of wine and watched as I drank it like I was quenching their own thirst. "It's getting late." I said, excusing myself for the night. I walked upstairs and my head was spinning. I made a mental note to slow down on the drinking.

             Maharet's maid brought me a hot cup of tea before I went to bed and I drank it out on the balcony, the warm Nevada night air caressed my skin. I was about to go to bed when I caught a glimpse of a man's silhouette in the night. As a man stepped out into the moonlight I could see his features more clearly. The man was a bit over six foot, had silvery blond hair and his eyes gleamed with mischief in the moonlight. The man invoked a feeling of deja vu inside me but I couldn't quite place where I had seen him before or even if I had seen him before. I walked back into my room with one last look at the handsome stranger. I placed my cup down on the silver tray that would be gone before I woke up in the morning.

               When I woke in the morning two Aspirins and a cup of hot coffee sat on the silver tray on my night stand to nurse my hangover. I got up, with the change of clothes laid out for me and walked to my shower. After I washed my hair and scrubbed every inch of my body with strawberry body wash I changed into the black and white floral sun dress with black flats to match. After I ate breakfast I began to explore the house even more and found what seemed to be a study with scrolls strewn across the dark coca brown desk. The scrolls seemed to be written in an old script and a series of pictures. I left the room and grabbed my coat. I took my purse from the coat rack and headed out to town with my car keys in hand.