Better or Worse

JJ wakes up and checks his phone. It's 6:30 in the morning. He was never a morning person, but he became one when it came to his father. He used to do late night smoking, he still does just not as frequently as he would like. His dad found out when he got too high once and got the munchies. He steals stuff all the time but that time he wasn't his best so he got caught. Long story short, his dad came when they called the police and took him home for a 'talk'.

That was last month. He still has bruises here and there but for the most part, they're healed. He gets up and checks outside of his room to see if his dad is asleep. Thankfully he is. He closes the door and walks to open his window. He sits on his bed and takes out the little baggie from under his mattress. He keeps it in there just in case his dad likes to inspect. He gets the paper from his drawer and starts to create his first blunt of the day.

Once he's done he gets his zippo lighter. It's silver with his name carved into it. He lights his blunt and off he goes into the world filled with smoke and tranquility.

~

Kiara is just laying in bed, staring at the ceiling. She hasn't really been sleeping, her mind won't let her. Sometimes she just wants to sleep and hopefully never wake up. She doesn't want to go to school today but her mother will make her either way so why fight it, right? She likes to daydream, a lot. But it's probably not the best thing to do when they're mostly about yourself buried six feet under.

"Kiara, come on you're gonna be late." Anna shouted from downstairs.

She sighed before getting up. Looking around , she spotted her backpack and grabbed it. She went out of her room with a glum expression not wanting to go to this hell called school.

~

Kiara and Anna arrive at school. Considering the island is not that big they only have one high school, obx high. So that means kooks and pogues get to live in "harmony".

"Have a great day and make sure you actually try." Anna says as she unlocks the doors.

"I do try, what are you talking about?" Kiara says annoyed as she gets out of the car.

"A b+ isn't trying Kiara, it's just laziness." Anna states .
The brunette is so fed up with this conversation. She just nodded her head, closed the door and walked away. Her mother has been hard on her her whole life. She tells her how to wear her clothes, how she's supposed to act, and tells her what to eat sometimes. Her dad was the only one who wasn't hard on her. He let her be who she wants to be. That's the difference between her mother and father.

As she's walking she feels an arm wrap around her neck. She knows exactly who it is and she's the slightest bit pleased.

"Hey babe," Rafe says as he kisses her temple.

Rafe is Kiara's boyfriend. But the only reason they're together is because of her mother. Kiara doesn't really care for him, but whatever her mom wants, she's gonna get. Kie doesn't hate him, he's not that bad. However he does things that Kiara doesn't like. Or things he would do to her.

"Hey, I thought you had early practice." Kie says trying to sound a little bit more...caring.

"I do, I just wanted to come see you"
He says as they're walking to the door.

Before Kie can say anything Topper comes in and takes Rafe away. Him and Topper play basketball together.

I'll see you at lunch," He says walking away to the gymnasium.

"Bye," Kie says.

She's walking to her class and gives JJ a silent solute as he's leaning against the lockers.

"Maybank"

"Carrera"

Kiara and JJ aren't friends but they're acquaintances. They have a few classes together. They speak to each other here and there. They stay on their own side of the island. But little do they know, that will soon change either for the better or worse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until next time,

Sincerely, Nicole❤️