Chapter Eight

"Stooooopppp!" Dan yelled as you all ran through the portal. Lia happily hugged Lightning as the ran pup jumped into her arms. "We found you!" She exclaimed happily.

You stared at the group in front. "You must be Magnus." You growled and pointed at the boy with the half mask.

"You creeps! You dog napped Lightning, didn't you!?" Lia yelled at them and a girl with pink hair blew a raspberry at her.

"I won't let you near that core cell! You hear me!" Dan yelled and you nodded.

You pulled out your Bakugan and grinned. "Neither will I."

Magnus hissed at this. Dan quickly threw Drago, letting him onto the battlefield. Drago flew at the other tram. Magnus also threw a Bakugan. "Nail it Nillious!"

A huge double headed, winged beast appeared and flew after Drago. A Darkus Bakugan? Fitting. The two Bakugan clashed, the force of the blow sending a wave of air at you. The two seemed equally matched as they parried and blocked at the same time, ending with both punching each other in the gut.

Shun pointed out a Bakucore in an odd place and Dan ran toward it. You quickly followed the boys as they ran off, leaving Lia and Benton on their own with the pink haired girl and weird adult.

Dan quickly grabbed the core cell and threw it. "Drago! Take this!"

Unfortunately, Magnus did the same. The two Bakugan attacked at the same time, creating an explosion where the attacks met. Both were left unscathed.

A roaring sound made you whip your head up. The golden Bakugan looked angry as he crashed into the ground. Fade Ninja appeared and helped Drago with the Darkus beast. For now you wouldn't have to roll your Bakugan out.

Drago expressed his gratitude as Lupitheon launched himself at Nillious. The three Bakugan hanging up on the Darkus Brawlers Partner.

"HEY! WATCH OUT!" Your heard Benton yell and realised something was wrong. The golden Bakugan suddenly launched himself forward and a huge explosion of light quickly traveled your way. You grabbed Dan and shielded him from the blow, worried it might cause him harm. Something sharp jabbed you in the back but you ignored it.

All the Bakugan on the field got returned to ball form, the only exceptions being Drago and Nillious, who crashed into the ground. "DRAGO! Are you okay?" Dan yelled.

"Why are you doing this? Why can't you understand?!" Dan yelled at the Golden Bakugan, obviously annoyed. You shook your head. Something wasn't right with the golden protector.

You heard someone say something below and looked to see Magnus running to another Bakucore. He slammed his hand against it and yelled. A powerful stream of Darkness came off the core as he threw it. "Dan! Quickly!" You yelled and pointed at Nillious.

The Darkus Bakugan evolved. It now only had one head but looked far stronger.

The Bakugan shot a huge blast at the golden Bakugan who fought to protect his territory.

Nillious blocked the golden Bakugans ice attack and quickly returned one.

You grinned as the golden Bakugan growled and put up a shield holding the attack back. Magnus ordered Nillious to finish the Protector off but the golden Bakugan was quick to react. He sent the Darkus attack right back, hitting Nillious and giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Nillious fell, losing his evolution.

You had made your way to Drago and checked to make sure he was alright. That was when you realised an ice attack was shooting toward you.

"Look out!" Dan yelled and you let out a groam before the attack suddenly dissipated and the golden Bakugan fell to the ground.

"NO!" You yelled and quickly grabbed one of your Bakugan, throwing them onto the field and jumping on his back. You had grabbed Leonidas.

"Quickly, we have to make sure he's alright!" You yelled and Leo nodded, shooting toward the Protector.

You landed and you quickly jumped off running to the side of the golden Bakugan. A slithering black mist covered part of it's back. It sent shivers down your spine as you stared at it.

"DON'T TOUCH THE BLACK STUFF!" You yelled and the young brawlers (with Benton) crowded around.

Lia was quick to react and rolled out Pegatrix as the golden Bakugan groaned. "Pegatrix! Heal him with revitalize!" She yelled and Pegatrix nodded, "of course."

Leo and you watched as the haos used her powers to heal the golden. Wynton also rolled out Tortonium and used Nature's power.

You looked to Leo and nodded. "Leonidas! Use Darkus Alliance!" You yelled and your Bakugan nodded, spreading his wings and pushing his arms forward, blasting the golden Bakugan in a dark yet somehow soothing fog.

With the combined efforts of the brawlers Bakugan and your own, you managed to reduce the black matter, leaving only a small spot on the Protector's body.

"Aw it's no use! The black stuff won't go away." Wynton sighed in defeat.

"Not true. It healed me quite a bit actually." The golden Bakugan nodded and stood up from the ground. "Wait? You can actually speak?" Dan asked and the Bakugan nodded, "yes. Thanks to your help I've regained the power of speech." He nodded to all the Bakugan in gratitude.

You smiled.

"Now that you can talk, tell us who you are and what happened." Dan stated and the golden Bakugan nodded. Leo settled down next to you as Benton walked to stand by your side.

"My name is Trhyno. I'm a golden Bakugan. I was protecting the core cell you see here and then, he appeared." The Protector spoke. You saw Leo's eyes widen in recognition. "The evil one. Tiko. I fought my best but couldn't hold him back! It was obvious he had gained the power of another core cell."

You growled and held your head as confusing flashes and images appeared in your mind. Leo nudged you and Benton worriedly fussed over you. Benton's fussing made your face grow warm. You had no idea why.

"I did everything I could to protect the core cell. I managed to fight Tiko off but paid a terrible price." Trhyno told the tale and shook his head. "I was infected with the V-Virus!"

You gasped at the name. "What's the V-Virus?" Dan asked. "Is that stain growing?" Benton asked and you nodded.

"Tiko is spreading the V-Virus through me. That's why I wanted you to stay away from this area. I was trying to Chase you away to keep you safe."

"So that's why you attacked us? To keep us safe?" Lia questioned.

"Yes Lia. The Virus is highly infectious and works to control the people in contact with it. It's original purpose long forgotten but to those who can remember what happened on Vestroia. Tiko uses it to control them. He couldn't talk so had to keep you away from himself." You spoke then clawed at your face. How did you even know that? You had just blurted it out.

"Correct. I'm sorry I had to resort to that violent behavior. Please forgive me." Trhyno bowed his head.

You noticed Nillious zoom past and quickly hopped on Leo. "After him!"

Dan followed behind you. Trhyno yelled for you both to stop. The core cell was infected as well.

You patted Leo's head. "No going back now buddy." You grinned but was suddenly knocked out of the sky. Leo's wings were encased in ice. You held onto his spikes as you fell, crashing into the ground. You sighed as you saw Dan punch Nillious into the core cell. "He can handle this."

"DAN!" You heard the team yell. You sighed as you lay on top of Leo. Your Bakugan seemingly unconcious.

"You've got this Dan!"