Folklore

"You're not serious, are you?" I can sense the annoyance in his voice. I did not even lift my eyes from my chemistry book. Suits him.

He's still looking at me intently, waiting for me to crack. After a whole minute of me focusing on the graphs, and him shooting daggers in my direction, he threw his hands in the air and let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Now you're ignoring me, good f*cking--" he grabbed a handful of his brown locks in frustration.

I hid a smile. I remember telling Mirden how fun street wars are, I've been to some anyway. But this, this, this is more fun. I know I'll pay a hefty sum for annoying the hell out of Van later, so I'm enjoying the moment. 

I put the book in my backback and fixed my highlighters scattered in the table. I love hanging out in the library this early, sometimes I read, but 90% of the time I just watch Netflix. I stand up and was about to leave when Van clutched my arm.

"Fine you win, woman. Goddamit.--" there's still a string of muttered profanities but I focused on the fact that I won!

To be clear, we weren't arguing. We weren't fighting, well not yet at least. I had to hold my laughter because I know Van will explode if I further annoy him.

We went to his car. This week he bought a convertible, fucking rich asshole. I knew Tres was spewing another bullshit when he announced last month that they will regulate the cars of students and visitors, so during schooldays students can't drive around in their cars. But look, his devil of a brother has been bringing a different car every week. 

The sun was about to set and we took a minute to appreciate its beauty. Well, I can only speak for myself because when I turn to Van, he was looking at intently at me. I was about to come up with a witty remark but for some unknown reason the words got stuck in my throat and my cheeks heat up. God, climate change.

"Did you put on some blush?" Van asked. I turn to him again and saw his teasing smirk. 

"Shut up. You're weird!" I know, not my best insult. To be fair I'm sitting shotgun and the sun was setting in the background and the yellowish glow is just making Van's face features more pronounced-- ugh why does my boyfriend has to be this attractive? Definitely not good when I'm trying to be mad at him.

"Anyway, give it."

"What?"

"Your phone, dumbass." he rolled his eyes.

Okay, you know what, forget about the compliments I just said, how dare he call me a "dumbass"?

I threw my phone at his face, but of course he has to catch it thanks to his amazing reflexes. God really has his favorites. 

He looked at me and mouth, "password".

"You can unlock it." He put his thumb on the screen and my phone unlocked. I value my privacy, and I will never tolerate any violation of it, but I know Van, and I trust him. He never opens my phone without my consent and even if he uses it, he never opens my social media apps. As he should. I know this is a small thing but I want him to know how much I trust him, so I added his thumbprint in my phone. 

I heard a "tsk" but I know Van smiled a bit. We're not really vocal when it comes to love gestures but I know we both appreciate it, every bit of it, may it be small or grand. 

He opened my spotify app and typed, "folklore". So here's the reason why he was so annoyed at me in the library earlier. Taylor just dropped her newest album. And I know! I love Rage Against the Machine , 1975, Hozier, Nirvana-- but I also love Taylor Swift. Of course I don't publicize that last bit. If I like the music, I like the music. I was so excited to listen to the album but I wanna listen it with Van. I know, corny. He didn't want to at first because it's "you think I'm gonna listen to some corny sht?" but apparently I am pretty persuasive. 

"Here goes." He made sure to make his sarcasm visible. Van clicked on the first track of the album.

The One playing. 

We are parked beside a big tree but there are still some sun rays going through. The warm light is a perfect addition to this romantic-- errr-- fine, romantic atmosphere. The music is playing, Van and I aren't talking, just enjoying each other's company in silence. We don't need words, Van has a way with words, he never fails to send butterfly frenzy in my stomach, but I love his silence, too.

Almost half of our dates are "silent" dates. Every weekend we would go to their mansion, and yes, the whole gothic vibe of the place still gives me the creeps (and the armed mafia people guarding every nook and cranny of the place). We'll just in his room's veranda, him reading any classic books, me scrolling through social media. The ruffling of the leaves in their perfectly kept garden making everything so serene and calm. We'll exchange a total of 20 words in the whole afternoon, but I know we love every second of our silent hours. 

When the world is in a nonstop noise, I know my eyes will be focused on Van. When the world is silent, I'll still look at him. I'll still look for him. 

Regardless of the place, in the library, in his car, in their mansion, or in the grass of the school, we're okay with complete silence as long as we're holding each other's hands. Mushy? Maybe. 

🎶 But we were something, don't you think so?
It would've been you 🎶

"I love this part." I didn't realize I said it out loud.

"Hmm me, too." Van whispered. 

"See this is proof you should trust my taste in music more!" I laughed.

He offered his hand, and of course, I took it. The next song of the album played. We're just humming to the music. This is nice.

Before, I hated every "better days are coming" advice from pseudo-positive people. They were so pretentious to me. But maybe, there is some truth to what they were saying.

This-- me and Van in his car, listening to folklore-- I'm finally living in the "better days" they were talking about. 

I held his hand a little tighter and muttered a silent, "thank you" to the universe. 

Thank you for giving me better days with this asshole.