The Journey, Part 1

Sorry for leaving this so long!! Work's been a bit crazy and stuff, but here's the next chapter for you guys! Hope you all like it!

Before I forget, I want to say thank you to Wolvesarekawaii for their wonderful review! :) Hope you enjoy this chapter, too, my friend!

God Bless and Good Day!

~The Lupine Sojourner

No one spoke much as we neared the woods.

We all felt a sense of unease, facing the largely unknown dangers of the dark woods.

"Don't worry. Just stick by me and it'll be fine." Bigwig says softly, but even he's glancing around with a bit of apprehension ins his eyes.

We tentatively hop along, our pace slowed with how anxious everyone was. No one liked being awake this long into the night, especially not in a place like these woods.

In the day, it was alright, as long as you kept your wits about you. But at night...

It's all rather spooky, filled with noises I don't know and smells I can't place and shadows that play tricks on my eyes.

But we press doggedly on, knowing we had to get through the woods and through the meadow if we wanted to truly be clear of Sandleford and whatever Owsla may be on our trail.

From the back of the group, I can faintly hear a rabbit murmuring to another.

"Do you think this is where the Black Rabbit of Inle lives?"

I shudder. I don't like the thought of meeting the Black Rabbit...

At all.

"In a stone warren of dead rabbits, full of disease and death?" The scared rabbit continues.

"Please stop talking." Another pleads.

"With black eyes that burn like the fires of Hell, and a cold grey expression, with sorrow beyond reckoning?"

"You're only making you and every rabbit in earshot frightened. You know as well as anyone that the Black Rabbit lives so far away, no rabbit knows where the warren is. This isn't where the Black Rabbit lives, so shut it and keep moving." I call back, unable to handle more frightening thoughts while still in the dark woods.

"She's right; you're making everyone nervous, Bluebell." The other rabbit, who'd spoken to the one frightening us (Bluebell, apparently) adds, hopping along and trying to ignore his unease.

As we continue on, trying to be brave, a branch suddenly falls, narrowly missing a few of us. The ones closest to it cry out in fright.

We move on, slower now we were all getting almost tharn with fear.

Bigwig was the only one who was not outwardly trembling.

"How are you not trembling?" I ask softly. "I can't stop shaking."

"It helps that I've been out here more than you lot. I know more about these woods." He replies. Then, I notice, he glances Hazel's way. Hazel had decided to more or less take the lead, practically neck and neck with Bigwig and I. "Not that I'm asked for my opinion."

"Hazel's just new to all this. I bet he'll come around. I can talk to him."

"No. If he's gonna talk to me, he talks to me directly, without any rabbit conveying messages."

I huff. "Fine then. You'll sit here sulking without Hazel knowing you've got a better idea. If you don't speak up, he won't know."

In reply, Bigwig huffs and keeps hopping. I roll my eyes and try to keep up. It's hard, though. I'm getting tired. Haven't slept since Frith rose this morning.