20. A Complete Do-Over

Lauren's persuasion skills worked. Although I'm pretty sure there was not much talking involved. Cough. Anyways, through a very professionally written email, I got notified that I could stay at our one of our vacation homes without it being considered as trespassing. So did I take the chance and just fly myself to our cabin in Sweden? Nope. I stayed in Tennessee, in an considerably modest apartment.

  And since Amy and Lauren, literally the only 2 people I consider my friends, had a restraining order put on them or something, I went to the only other person I knew in the city. Knowing her is a bit of a stretch I suppose. But I'm desperate for some company and maybe some guidance. Hey, she seems wise enough.

  I knocked on Lauren's Mom hospital room door. After hearing a weak, croaky "Come in", I pushed down the door and greeted her with a smile. "Hello Mrs Adams," I said, forcing a hint of cheerfulness in my voice. "Oh, Dani! Come sit down dear. And please, call me Lynne," she smiled. I pulled up a chair next to her bed. Her eyes were still sunken and she still looked... Well, like she was about to die. But her eyes had a twinkle in them, a cheeky one. Like one you would see in a 6 year old. Or a Lauren. She had even more wires and machines around her than before. Compliments (Bribe) of Daddy, her room had been upgraded to a private one with a nice view of the outside world.

  "How are you doing?" I asked, placing the flowers I brought for her in a vase. "I'm feeling better than the last time you saw me. I'm starting to feel myself again," she smiled. "That's great! Has Lauren come to visit?" I asked. "No one has besides from your last visit to now, besides Lauren. Once," she said, her smile fading a bit. Once, Laur? Really?  "But I have other problems to worry about. So what do you need?" She asked. "Why do you think I need something?" I said, surprised. "Do you?" She smirked, the life coming back into her eyes a little.

  "Yeah..." I admitted. "I'm listening," she said. So I told her everything. From Daddy sending me to jail, to disowning me. I told her about me now being jobless and having no one to talk to. As I talked, tears started streaming down my cheeks. I couldn't help it. I started my story from the beginning, telling her about my life and how much of it sucked. It was probably unnecessary but, I wanted to. Through out my speech, she didn't even open her mouth to say a single word. Shr just gently held my hand and gave it gentle squeezed if I started choking up.

  "So now, I'm living by myself in an apartment. I don't have any friends. And-". As I was finishing my speech, a man in a man barged in like he owned the place. Which I'm surprised he doesn't. "Daddy?" I muttered. "Danielle," he acknowledged. He ignored Lauren's Mom, which I'm sure meant they weren't sitting beside each other at the wedding. Mrs Adams didn't see too happy to see him either.

  "I have come to tell you that from now on, you're paying for all of Mrs Adams' medical needs in the future," he said, smiling smugly. I wanted to wipe that smug look off his face so badly. "B-hut why?" I asked. "Because you're now financially independent. Without my money, you're gonna let this poor woman die," he said, shaking his head sadly.

  I clenched my teeth, trying not to let my anger get a hold of me. "Really?" I scoffed, "This is your girlfriend's mother." He looked at Mrs Adams and back at me. "I know. Lauren doesn't care whether she dies or not anyways," he said bluntly. I glanced at Mrs Adams. She wore an expression of hurt but at the same time, she expected it. I'm not just gonna let this happen.

  "So you think that just because your girlfriend doesn't like her mother, you would let her die?" I asked. "Why not. She's of no use to me," he shrugged. I nodded. "I really don't get what Lauren sees in you," I sighed. "But whatever. Leave us alone. I'll pay for it all until I go into debt or whatever," I said. Hey, not like I need money for anything at the moment. He nodded, giving me satisfied smirk, like he just won. Which, I'm saying, he didn't. He quickly left.