Exertion

"Hello, My name is Sulanie Freeman. Most people call me Sullie for short, I'm glad to be joining your class", I say as I introduce myself to each new class. Here's the 411. I'm Sullie, I'm a 15 year old Sophomore at my new school "Tyner High". Today is my first day here. 4 days ago, I moved to Chicago from Dallas, Texas. My parents used to love that place so much that my younger sister got stuck with the name "Dally". Then they split up and my mom remarried a man named David and we moved here. David has a son, Wess, he's cool, but he's really quiet. Since we are finally going to be living together I'm going to try to be friends with him. Wess didn't live with his dad before but recently he decided to move in, so we needed a bigger place. Anyways, So here I am, smiling awkwardly at about 26 people, who mostly look mildly intimidating.. The Teacher, who never actually told me her name yet, instructed that I sit next to "Taylor". Like I know who that is? And she didn't even point so I don't know where to walk towards. I slowly start making my way towards the first empty spot next to a girl. Before sitting down, I ask, "Uhh... are you Taylor?" She replies with a weak nod and cruelly turns her head to whisper to another girl, her friend I'm guessing. I quietly sit down and act like I'm paying attention, as I can't stop myself from looking around. As my eyes take a tour of the room, I hear, "what kind of a name is Sullie?" In whispers. The girl beside me quietly giggles. Because I don't want to deal with another year of being picked on because of my name, I reply. "It's a name that is short for Sulanie, which my parents named me because they thought it was different; not basic like some people."

Taylor then says, "Oh, great, another lo-"

"TAYLOR. Why are you talking during my English Class?" "Mrs. Wolfe, Sulanie was insulting us, I was just telling her to pay attention!" Taylor says. Mrs. Wolfe.... ohh, so that's her name.. "Sullie, It's your first day, so I'm going to let that one slide, don't make a bad impression, you'll regret it." Says Mrs.Wolfe. I was so struck that she believed her.. I didn't even know what to say. "I'm sorry.. I- It won't won't happen again", I say. "Good, so anyways, as I was say--" "DING, DING, DING" "we'll get back to it tomorrow, class dismissed", she says. I got my things together and followed the crowd out the door.