The Point of No Return

"You still trying to buy your way into Elysium, Senator Gracchus?"

"If it means using my own savings to compensate for the lost grain reserve, then it would be my duty to provide for my...less fortunate neighbors." Senator Gracchus told his dear colleague, Gaius. "Don't listen to him!" Falco interrupted, "Now that we plan to bring Rome back to a republic, as it was founded, he knows that the people will be more than interested in whom they choose to represent them. 'Tis important for us to make an excellent impression for ourselves among the people."

"An impression?" Gaius chuckled. "What do they know of impressions? As long as we provide them with visions of bread and delusions of victory, they will want nothing more from us." He was sharply admonished by Lady Lucilla, who insisted on foregoing her title as the late Empress, telling him that the people cared for more than just nourishment and entertainment. And that the only ones who saw this facet of the citizens would truly earn a place in history.

If one keenly listened, they could hear the faint sound of boots clacking through the halls. It was startling at first, yet most of them ignored it, choosing to believe one of their colleagues was too busy with their mistresses last night and overslept.

"I believe we ought to commence today's meeting." Lucilla's voice cut through the side chatter like a gladius, silencing the room. "Senator Gracchus will read for us the issues required for us to address, and..."

"Stop, in the name of the Emperor." A voice interrupted her. "What emperor...?" Lucilla turned around to find the double doors of the Forum ajar.

Surrounded by fearsome, purple-caped Praetorian guards, Commodus entered the gathering of Senators with a sheathed sword in hand. His hair was combed neatly, with a few dark strands falling over his eyebrow. As if to trigger their last memory of him, he wore his alabaster armor from the arena and his brilliantly green eyes were lined with a dark shade of kohl. A few of the Senators rose from their seats out of respect, but were defiantly gestured to sit down by Gracchus.

"Sister. How I've missed you," Commodus opened his arms to embrace her only for Lucilla to sternly back away from him. "Rome is grateful for your recovery, Commodus." Lucilla responded emotionlessly. "And I am thankful to the Gods for sparing my brother."

Her words were cold, almost disturbing. It was clear that she had no faith in his ability to fight, be it a gladiator or an injury. "You truly are the despicable one out of the two of us, dear sister. While your words convey affection, your movements whisper of malice. Not once did you ever visit me, Lucilla. If only you thought for a moment how much I'd been longing for you. One sweet kiss, or a gentle caress would've satiated me far more than even the strongest of medicines. You chose to send your son instead, as a little pawn in your political games."

"I did no such thing, Commodus. Lucius is only a boy - he came to visit you out of his own will. Neither of us carry any hatred towards you," she fiercely tried to persuade him. "The politics of Rome are nothing like the games you threw to mystify the crowds. The Senators have the best interests of Rome in mind - they will help us bring about a new Republic."

"And you expected me to remain quite like a good little brother. Or perhaps drown myself into debauchery like our ancestor Caligula...or fiddle while Rome burns among these men, just like the late Nero. Tell me, sweet sister who stood by my side for so long, who instilled in you so much trust for the Republic? Was it our Father or was is that slave who had you in the palm of his hand and ,dare I say,...in your bed?"

"How dare you," she hissed. Lucilla immediately slapped her brother, not caring for the gawking Senators and guards. Letting himself be hit, Commodus caught her wrist and gently kissed it. "Rome has changed, Commodus." Lucilla continued. "We are to become a Republic, just as our Father dreamed of. It is my duty to be whatever he taught me to be."