Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Carisi paced back and forth in front of the one-way mirror between the interrogation room and himself. Fin and Amanda were in the room with Carson Goldberg and Carisi was forced to watch from the other side of the glass. They were still playing it cool, gathering information, not really getting to the part where he was a suspect.

Olivia stood next to him, one hand leaned against the wall. "Calm down, Carisi."

He stopped his pacing and looked down at her, "I want in there," he said. "This isn't right, I've been running point on this case for weeks and now you wanna bench me?"

"You know why," Olivia said softly.

Carisi turned on his heel and began to pace again, inside the room they could hear the conversation between Goldberg, Fin and Amanda.

"How long have you know Tru?" Amanda asked.

"A couple years," Goldberg replied.

Carisi shook his head, lie he thought.

"And how did you meet her?" Fin asked.

"I drive her Uber..." Goldberg said flatly.

Another lie, Carisi thought.

"Have you noticed anyone hanging around her?" Fin asked, "Maybe you saw someone when you dropped her off?"

"When I'm at work I kind of have tunnel vision." Goldberg said. "I didn't notice anything. But I am a gentleman, at night I always watch to make sure she gets into her building safely."

Yeah, real gentleman Carisi thought.

Amanda tilted her head, trying her charm on him. "Have you ever tried to see her outside of work?"

"You mean have I ever tried to date her?" Goldberg asked, "No, I wouldn't mix business with pleasure like that."

Amanda nodded, "Can you tell us where you were on September 20th at 5:30 in the morning?"

The man ran his hands through his curly locks, "I really don't remember. I'm all over the city...all day long...but my logbook should be able to tell you."

"See that's what we thought too, but it shows you dropping off a fair at around 4:45 and then nothing else until almost 7 am." Fin said. "Can you tell us why there is such a gap?"

"I must have stopped and got some breakfast." Goldberg replied.

"Can you tell us where?" Amanda asked.

"No," he shook his head, "I can't even remember where I ate at yesterday...let alone a month ago."

Back on the other side of the glass Carisi pleaded with his boss to let him question the suspect. "Please, lieu, I promise I won't screw this up."

Olivia shook her head but didn't say anything. He could tell he was wearing her down.

"Where's that other cop? The one that was with you when you stopped me?" Goldberg asked.

"See, liv, he want's me in there." Carisi said, "He's not gonna talk to any of them."

Oliva turned to look at Carisi, "You have one shot," she said. "Don't mess this up."

Carisi nodded as he opened the door to the interrogation room and stepped inside it. "I'm right here," Carisi said. "Rollins you can go."

"Carisi—"

There was a coy smile that spread across Carson's lips, and as quickly as it came it was gone, making Carisi wonder if he imagined it.

"You know I was thinking," Carisi said as he took a seat across from the suspect. "Nobody ever notices the drivers, do they?"