Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Tru and Carisi sat at the kitchen island in her apartment. Her high school yearbook was opened in front of them, and she had run her hands through her hair and now they rested, gripping the back of her neck. She stared at the picture of Carson open in front of them.

"I can't believe I didn't remember him," Tru said quietly.

"It only takes a little thing to set these guys off." Carisi offered.

Tru bit her bottom lip, "What did he say?"

"He asked if I thought you were mine." Carisi said.

Tru stared at him for a minute, "Like the pictures said...she's mine."

Carisi nodded, "And this," he pulled the two pictures of himself hugging her and the piece of paper that said once again, she's mine. Tru gazed at them in disbelief. "I received them early this morning."

"How did he—"

"I don't know." Carisi shook his head.

Tru was silent for a few minutes, mulling over something in her mind. She sighed heavily finally and said, "Maybe I should just leave town."

Carisi narrowed his eyes on her, "You want to run away?"

"Do you blame me?" She asked.

Carisi shook his head, "No but if you run you're letting him win," Sonny leaned forward, looking into her eyes, making sure she heard the words he was saying. "I promise you my team will bring this guy down."

Tru nodded as she ran her hands through her hair, "Speaking of your team..." She trailed off for a minute, "Did you get in a lot of trouble with your boss?"

Sonny smiled at her, "Nothing I can't handle." Carisi replied. He looked her over and couldn't help but notice how tired she looked. Her eyes wore the dark bags of being kept awake at night, tossing and turning, worrying. Her shoulders drooped forward with the weight of the world on them. "You should get some rest."

"I can't." She said simply. He didn't ask why, he knew why. She was afraid of him.

Carisi stood up and gently grabbed her by the shoulders, leading her to the sofa. She was tired she just left him, he sat her down and leaned down in front of her, "You need to rest, even if it's just for a couple hours. I won't let anything happen to you."

He grabbed the soft, green through blanket from the back of the sofa and draped it over her. "Can you turn the t.v on?" She asked. "I can't just lay here and listen to my thoughts...it drives me crazy."

"Sure," he picked up the remote and turned the television to a late-night sitcom. He moved around the living room, dimming the lights, and pulling the curtains closed. He made sure the door was locked, and he noticed she had added two deadbolts and a chain lock to the door. He shook his head, wishing he could help make her feel safe. Hoping he did make her feel safe.

He took a seat in the oversized chair adjacent to the couch, and crossed one leg over the other, leaning his arm against the arm of the chair he rubbed his temple, staring at the woman he had grown so close to. He found himself thinking about how beautiful she was, how strong she was. She was trying so hard not to let this animal bring her down, she refused to let him darken her light and that made Caris fall even harder for her.

Before he knew it his own tiredness set in. His eyes were heavy and harder and harder to keep open. He felt his muscles relaxing into the chair as he began to fall asleep too.