Chapter Two: Siblings

>>>>

After I've caught my breath, I turn to the guy and start to ask him things.

"Thank you... for helping me." I nod,

Ok, I have to thank him first! Geeze!

The guy bows his head in response.

"You're welcome. But, if I may ask, what is a fair maiden like yourself doing out here in the twisting woods?"

I laugh, "Fair maiden? No, I'm not even fair."

He smiles.

"But I was looking for my brother. He's been missing for a few days and I need to find him. A merchant from my market told me he thought my brother was in these woods."

"And you believed him?"

"I've looked everywhere in Camelot, everywhere but the woods."

"But what about the trolls?"

"Please. I'm not afraid of any trolls. What I'm afraid of is not finding my brother in time."

I lower my head, fretfully.

"I see. Well, in any case, my name is Douxie. Hisirdoux, if you want to be fancy."

I do a little curtsy.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Mairyn. People call me Rin, though."

"Charmed. And, as for your brother, well, I'll help you find him."

"You will?"

He holds up a finger to silence me.

"Until sunset. When the time comes, I'll be happy to take you back to the castle where we can help further."

"Tch. I'm very grateful for your offer to help, and I accept, but I cannot return with you to the castle I'm afraid."

"Why not?"

"Because I have other siblings to care for too. I'm the eldest of six kids. And, sad as it is, my father is at sea and my mother died late last year due to illness."

"My condolences."

"Thanks."

"... May I suggest this then? Why not bring your family to the castle with you? I mean, we have the space. I'm sure my master wouldn't mind if I filled him in."

"Your master? Are you a servant? You don't look like one."

"Oh, no, no. I'm an apprentice. Merlin's my master."

"Wait... You're a wizard?"

"In training—but yes, technically."

"Sweet! And I'm sure my siblings would LOVE to even set one foot inside the castle!"

"Then it's settled. Now, come on. Let's look for your brother. What's his name?"

"Jeanie."

"Jeanie. Ok."

We start walking around together in search of him. At least I have the company now.

>>>
(Time / Skip)
>>>

The sun is going down now, and we've had no luck in finding my little brother. I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

"I think it's time we call it. We've been searching for hours and have had no signs of your brother."

"Yeah... You're probably right. He might not even be here."

Oh Jeanie... where are you?

Douxie and I start for the village, leaving the woods altogether for today. I guide him back to my house, where the others are to be.