Chapter 2

Serah's husband was a tinker. Meadow loved to go with him when he worked. She was fascinated by the way he used a hammer and rivots to mend holes in pots and pans. Today was no different. So when father and daughter went on their way in search of work, Serah quickly tidied the house and then, with her curiosity getting the better of her, slipped away to the town square to find her new-found friend. Overnight she had developed an overpowering desire to learn more about the woman who had made such an impact on the lives of the Hebrew people.

When she arrived at the square, there were quite a few people gathered around the Man of God, so she stood off to one side in the hopes of getting some time to speak with him. The old man remained busy but when he espied Serah standing there, he immediately called her over and patting the spot on the wall next to him where he was sitting, bade her sit and listen while he worked. During a break, when he had finished speaking to one person and before he started with another, he lent over towards her and whispered, "Welcome to the first day on the job!" She didn't really know what he meant by that but, as the morning drew on she found herself engrossed by all the questions and problems which where presented to the old man and the way in which he answered and handled each different situation. It became like a game, she would listen to the question or problem and then before the old man answered, she would prepare an answer in her mind. When the wise man gave his answer or opinion, she would compare his words to her own in her head and see how different they were. Serah would get very excited when the the old man's answer was similar or even the same as hers. So engrossed was she with all the goings on, that she completely lost track of time.

The Man of God stood up and held his hands in the air, shaking his head. This was the sign that he was finished for the day. Turning to Serah he said, "Come let us walk, for if we remain her we shall have no peace. I know of a place where we can talk without interruptions. The administrative building where the city fathers meet has a beautiful garden, we will go there. Not anybody is allowed in, but they know me as I sit in when they meet in an advisory capacity. I have much to tell you, so if you don't mind, I shall start my tale while we walk."
"Please do, I have become quite excited and want to hear everything " Serah replied.

For a few minutes they walked in silence. Collecting his thoughts, the old man cleared his throat and began.

"It all started with tragedies that happened in two different families.
Jacob's son, Asher, lost his wife Adun. When she died, she had not born Asher any children. Across the Euphrates river, Malchiel, son of Elam, son of Shem was married to Hadurah. A daughter named Serach was born to Hadurah. Unfortunately Malchiel also passed away when Serach was three years old. Hadurah and her daughter returned to her father's house.

Asher in search of a new wife crossed the Euphrates, having heard of a most beautiful widow that lived there. When he found Hadurah, her most comely appearance bore testimony to the reports he had heard about her. He immediately made arrangements to marry Hadurah and take her back to Canaan and his father's house. The fact that she had a three year old daughter was a small price to pay for acquiring such a striking bride. It also proved that she was fertile, a fact that was confirmed when she bore Asher four sons.

Serach was brought up in Jacob's house and sat under his teaching. Her knowledge and love of Jacob's God, Yahweh increased daily. Jacob was won over by her piety and virtue. His favourite time was while he prayed, Serach would softly sing and play the harp in the background.

Her uncles would make good use of this aptitude. Upon returning from Egypt with gifts and food given to them by Joseph, who they had thought dead, and had surprised them by being very much alive and holding an important position, second only to Pharaoh himself. Jacob's sons were in a predicament. Their father thought that his favourite son, Joseph was dead. The brothers thought that if they broke the news to their father that Joseph was alive, he would not withstand the shock and the truth would kill him.