Chapter 5

It was inevitable that King David's reaction to his son's death and the resulting disinterest in the battle against the rebellious Absalom, would allow anyone with a grudge against David to exploit the situation.  Sheba son of Bikri, was one such troublemaker.  Thoughts of power and glory encouraged him to slander King David's actions and, up to this point, the king's good name.  His attempts to persuade the men to desert David and follow him actually achieved some success.  Especially the men of Israel, who without qualms of loyalty, left the battle and returned to their tents.  Luckily for David, the men of Judah remained true and huddled the ungrateful and mourning king off to Jerusalem. 

Reports of Sheba's increasing popularity soon reached King David.  He realised that Sheba's actions would result in a much bigger threat, if left unchecked, than even Absalom's rebellion had presented.

David was now in a quandary.  He had suspended his most able general, Joab. He was sitting on his throne, pondering the situation when his sister Abigail entered the room. Seeing his worried countenance, she remarked, "Why so downcast, my lord, does Absalom's death still bind you in this sorrowful state?"
"Not so my sister. A new and more pressing problem has raised it's head." David answered.

Abigail seated herself by David's legs and rested her head on his lap. "Sometimes if you share your problem, the solution will come unexpectedly."
David related his talks with Joab and the way it ended. He concluded by saying, "So you see I have no one to lead my army, in fact I don't even have an army. My main army refuses to budge. They wait for Joab to be reinstated. The men of Judah have taken leave from battle, they have gone home to their families. Yet I am desperate, Sheba grows stronger every day!"

Abigail lifted her head and said. "What about my son, Amasa?"
David answered. "What about him?"
"He fought for Absalom, he has battle experience." Abigail countered.
David scowled, "A battle he lost. Shall I employ the Commander-in-Chief of my adversary, to command my army in the twinkling of an eye. He is still young, the men will not follow him."
Again Abigail argued, "Did Amasa not admit his lack of judgement and did you not forgive him?"
David answered, "I say again, who will he lead? I have no army."
Abigail said, "Let him earn your forgiveness. Give him a chance. Send him to recruit men that are still available and let them hunt down this scoundrel, Sheba, for you. What other option do you have?"
David shook his head. He had a feeling this was not going to end well. He also knew his sister would not stop pestering him if he did not give Amasa a chance. At last he said, "I give him 3 days. If he does not stand before me with a fighting force by then, I will make other arrangements. Go now, tell your son the words of the king."
Abigail left the throne-room smiling, she had great plans for her son.

After 3 days, David summoned Abigail to come and see him.  Unbeknown to her, he had also summoned Abishai, Joab's brother as well.  Abigail reluctantly stood before the King. 
"You know why you're here."
She meekly answered,"Yes my lord."
David continued,"I cannot wait any longer.  I must stop this uprising against me.  Amasa had his chance.  Leave me."
Abigail started to speak, she wanted David to give her son more time.   The king held up his hand to silence her, and said again, "This discussion is over....leave, now."

A dispondant Abigail walked through the corridor.  Her thoughts were elsewhere.  Where was Amasa, how could he give up this chance to become her brother's General.  She hardly noticed the man who passed her, with only a  muffled grunt as a greeting.  Only when he had gone passed did she spin round and glare at his back, recognition coming slowly.  It was Abishai, Joab's brother.  Nothing good could come of this.

Abishai bowed before the king and waited.
King David started, "There is a man called Sheba son of Bikri.   Soldiers are deserting me to follow him.  I want him caught and killed.   Mobilise the army and march as soon as possible."
Abishai answered,"It is not my army to command."
David jumped up and shouted, "I know it's not your army...it's My army, and I'm telling you to command them!"
Abishai stayed composed, and answered, "That's not what I meant, lord king.  The men fight for you, but will only respond to a strong leader.  They want Joab reinstated."
David threw back his head,  giving a mock laugh.  "What's next!.....shall I give up my throne to Joab as well!"
David shouted to the door, "Guards! Guards!"
Two armed guards immediately burst into the room.  David, seated now, sternly commanded.
"Take this useless article away and throw him in the dungeon.  No food or water."

The guards grabbed Abishai and started dragging him out the room.  Abishai had not expected this treatment.  His brother had advised him to play hard-to-get  but the King had not fallen for those tactics.  Now he was in trouble.  He begged. "Please my king, what do you desire from me?"
David commanded the guards to stop.  He walked up to where they were still holding Abishai.  He said, "What do I desire from you?  I told these guards to arrest you......they obeyed!  Without question I might add.  I told them to stop....they immediately obeyed.  That is what I desire from you....obedience.  Not a lot of backchat and demands.  Since when do you barter with the king?  If Joab wants to lead the army he will have to learn to control his tongue.  Especially when he addresses his king! 

Now, I will give these guards only one more command.....either to release you, so that you can mobilise the army and capture Sheba, or to throw you in jail.   What shall it be?  The choice is yours!"

When Abishai reach the hill, called the Great Rock, just outside of Gibeon where the army had set up camp, he became extremely nervous.  On the one hand he had to contend with his brother's anger, which would certainly erupt, when he told him King David had not reinstated him as General, and to complicate matters, advise Joab that he, Abishai was to lead the army.  On the other hand, he promised to obey the king.

When he entered the camp, Joab came running  and greeted him warmly, saying, "Come my brother, sit, tell me all the news from the King's  court.  Abishai took a deep breath, and with his hand on his sword, in the event he had to defend himself, told his brother everything that had transpired. 

Joab suddenly jumped up, and with mockery written on his face, made a low and sweeping bow to Abishai, saying, "Oh mighty Abishai, may the Lord bless you with many victories.  Let your countenance be the inspiration to your men.  May they follow you to the ends of the earth.  Please may I be your shield bearer?"

The initial shock at his brother's reaction was soon replaced by the realisation that Joab was teasing him.  He stood up and pushing Joab on the chest, sent him staggering backwards and falling on his back.  Again Joab's behaviour completely surprised his brother.  Joab, lying on his back, looked at Abishai and burst out laughing.  When his mirth subsided, he put forth his hand, saying, "O brother help me up for my stomach aches.  I cannot rise alone.  Quick, before the look on your face has me doubled over with laughter again."

Abishai answered. "I must admit your reaction to my news has me puzzled, brother.  I thought you would be most vexed at King David's words!"
Joab replied. "You do not perhaps know me as well as you think, brother.  What you have told me is music to my ears.  I have been with the king for nearly 40 years.  I love him as a brother.  Sometimes though, he forgets that he is king, that's when he needs me and my strong words to anger him.  In his anger, he becomes strong again and acts like he should...like a king.  So you see, my brother, your news that our king is thinking clearly again and making decisive decisions makes me happy, and makes all my suffering worthwhile."

Abishai was much relieved.  The brothers embraced for a proper greeting.  Joab grabbed Abishai by the shoulders and said, "Come, we mustn't forget the King sent you on a mission.  Let us plan together.  I always enjoy a good hunt.  Let us outwit Sheba the fox!