III

Remember memories are in italics <3

~

Taking advantage of Santa as a distraction (Y/N) took small steps towards the two. Clover met (Y/N)'s eyes, pleading for help. The linoleum squeaked with (Y/N)'s next step, betraying her position. The scrawny man's eyes snapped to her, finding she'd made it within arm's length of him and Clover. "Please...you don't have to do this." (Y/N) raised her hands in front of herself calmingly. "Just let her-"

In an instant, the knife sliced through the air, the cold blade meeting (Y/N)'s right palm. In seconds the knife was back to its place against Clover's neck and Santa was pulling (Y/N) back by her shoulder. "Vi?! Are you alright?!" Slowly she flipped her palm over, grimacing at the clean slice through her flesh.

This man meant business. Santa pulled (Y/N) back a little further shielding her with his arm. "N-Now you all see how serious I am."

"Clover, are you all right?" Snake breathed, his voice unsteady with panic.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Vi is..." She stopped as the man pressed the blade harder against her neck.

"What the hell are you trying to do?!" Junpei bit back, trying to salvage the situation. (Y/N) ran a finger against the cut feeling the wetness of blood as it dripped off her hand. She was shaking. Santa glanced over his shoulder silently checking to see if the trembling girl behind him was okay.

"I-I told you already, this is my plan."

Seven took a menacing step, passing (Y/N) and Santa. "What are you going to do to her, you sick son of a bitch?"

"I-I'm not going to hurt her as long as s-she does what I say." He started to move backward keeping his grip on Clover. Keeping their distance, everyone closed in. As soon as his back hit the wall he glanced at the faces surrounding him. "Verify..." He demanded.

Clover raised a brow though the man couldn't see her face. "What?"

"T-the device on the wall. Place your hand on the scanner panel."

Clover snorted, a small laugh escaping her nose. "What if I don't?"

His nostrils flared in surprise. "Are you an idiot?! I could slit your throat right now! I'll kill you if I have to, A-All I need is your bracelet." Clover remained silent, still unmoving. "Just do it!"

As the words left his mouth the blade pressed harder against Clover's neck. Slowly but surely, she stretched her hand out towards the device, feeling around for the circular panel. The device buzzed as her hand passed it and an asterisk appeared on the digital screen above it.

The man who claimed to be Zero's words looped in (Y/N)'s mind. 'Should you total the number of your numbered bracelets and find that the digital root of that number is equal to the door, it will open.' This man seemed to know more about the device than the eight of them. "G-Good, next." His bloodshot eyes circled around the room landing on Ace. "You, right? You're number one?"

Ace visibly tensed. "Yes. I am. So?"

"You're next, verify your number like this little brat." He tightened his grip on Clover, the knife digging into flesh. Ace hesitated a second too long, earning a sharp look from the man. "What?! Don't care what happens to her?"

This whole situation had gone to shit, there was no rescuing it now. Ace mimicked what (Y/N) had done earlier, raising his hands and taking slow steps towards the device. After what seemed like an eternity he reached the wall and placed his palm against the scanner panel. Now the device displayed two asterisks, he would need one more person for it to open but who would he pick?