✷𝟹

POV Emily Prentiss

"Em! Emily!" I could hear JJ and Penelope yelling from the other side of the BAU offices.

"Hi girls! Maybe it's because I'm a profiler but I think you missed me"

"Oh Emily Prentiss, you have always been the best at this"

The two of them laughed and hugged me, and I have to say that I've missed having girls night with wine and pizza talking about failed dates and, well, changing diapers too.

Apparently, Reid, Alvez, and Rossi were working on some internal affair in the conference room so we just hang out in the kitchen for 5 minutes until I — and should say we — saw a 5"1 skinny figure almost flying from the elevator to where the guys where.

"Am I late? I am late right? Oh my God, he is gonna fucking kill me!" 

"Language, lady!" Penelope shouted at her but from where I'm standing, she didn't hear a thing.

"SSA Dakota Kane," JJ said, and I could tell she was so done with her. "She is who she is and we love her but sometimes, just sometimes, she gives me bigger headaches than Henry"

"Chaotic neutral, if you ask me," Penelope commented while drinking her coffee of a pink, shiny cup.

"So... that's Kane," I said, almost without giving it much importance. But I was dying to know her. 

"Anyway, he's not gonna kill her," Penelope said in a quirky way.

"Who isn't?"

"Rossi. She is like his own daughter. I mean it when I say that she is his favorite, even more than Reid" JJ said, laughing.

"For real. K will become a serial killer herself and Rossi would still find her adorable" 

"Someone with daddy issues who's the youngest and Rossi's favorite... Reid can't be happy with it," I said, ignoring the fact that I wanted to know what made David so protective of her.

  ˚ * .      *   * ⋆   .

15 minutes went by and we were called in to discuss a case.

Serial, in Kentucky, apparently hate crime. Which, I found out that was Kane's specialty. You have to be very brave and fierce to specialize in hate crimes. And I hate to profile a co-worker but I might say that she went through a hate crime that made her specialize in it.

"Wheels up in 15, kids" Rossi commanded and we instantly jumped out of our seats.

"Kane..."

"Oh boy" she gasped. 

"Someone's in trouble," Tara uttered singing and laughing which made Alvez and JJ laugh as well.

"No, no trouble" Rossi answer very calmly "Dakota, you know I love you and I don't mind but..." and he touched his nose repeatedly. I knew in a second what he was asking.

"Protocol is protocol, I know, I'm sorry"

She moved her hands to her nose, fighting to take off her nose ring without a mirror.

"Is that why you were late?" He looked at her and we all knew. He was profiling her.

"No..."

"Whenever you come in late with your nose thing is because you partied the night before, so tell me the truth," He looked tired but intriguing. "What's the name?"

"Uhmmmm"

"Dakota, again? Don't you understand that there are serial killer out there? You can take a random person to your apartment!"

He literally treated her as her child, and she knew exactly how to use her puppy eyes to her favor.

"Technically it wasn't in my apartment..." She said very shyly.

"DAKOTA KANE" Rossi snapped making everybody in the room laugh very loud. "You went to someone's apartment, drunk without knowing their name? Are you out of your mind?" He looked at us "And you, stop laughing! Don't celebrate this behavior!"

"What? I'm sorry, I had two or seven drinks and I couldn't help it"

"I really don't know what to do with you. Wheels up" and he left the scene, clearly frustrated but in a very funny way.

I would love to say that I only enjoyed that scene like everybody else but the truth was that I had analyzed every word. And something caught my eye, obviously. The indefinite words: "the" name, "person", "someone's" apartment. And I understood why he was so protective of her and why she specializes in hate crimes.

She was the victim of the hate crimes that she wants to fight... because of her sexuality.