✷𝟺

POV Dakota Kane

The case in Kentucky was... easy. pretty simple, mid 50s white male, very religious and conservative, killing lesbians and bisexuals that rejected him, surrogates for an ex that left him for a girl. It wasn't so easy for me though. it never gets easier. I think I can't wait to see all the people who kill other people because of hate behind bars.

When it comes to the team, everyone was fantastic as usual and SSA Prentiss is amazing at what she does, I was impressed. anyway, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't cold at first with her. Because of Interpol policies, I shouldn't know the names of the agents undercover in the Ian Doyle mission but of course, I investigate a little more than what I should.

As far as Interpol is concerned, I've never even heard of an "Emily Prentiss" before in life.

But of course, I did. and although she didn't know me, I tried, in a way to warn her when Ian escaped prison. I don't know why I had this urge to tell her and confide in her... but I couldn't without being spotted. by Doyle of Interpol.

  ˚ * .      *   *   .

We had just arrived to work when Penelope told us about a case in L.A.; we would be working on a serial with the LAPD. The place that saw my first steps. The place that broke me. The place that made me stronger and more fragile at the same time. And now I had to face that.

I wouldn't let anyone come in the middle of my job with the BAU but I can't lie, I was about to throw up because of how nervous and stressed I was.

But I had to try and face my biggest fear and my biggest sadness. I was 75% sure I could do it with my "team wonder" next to me. Because with them, I felt protected as hell.

Anyway, I had to have an escape plan, and who else I could trust with what may happen than the only person who understood how freaked out I was for going there. Again.

  ˚ * .      *   *   .

"Dave..." I said while knocking on Rossi's door

"Yes, sweetheart, what's up?"

"Have you seen where our next case is? I don't know if I can't handle it..."

"Do you want to stay and consult from here?" He stood up from his chair and walked towards me.

"Actually, n-no" I stutter because of how indecisive I was of what I was going to say "I want to go, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay, and I want to let you know that I may ask to come back"

"Are you sure about this?"

And there it was the "protective and concerned" daddy stare from David that reminded me so much of my dad.

"I am. I would like to see the officers that are consulting, though. I want to know if they are on the list"

"Sure, Prentiss has it, ask for it and she wouldn't have a problem with giving it to you."

"Thank you, Dave... for supporting me"

"Anytime, kiddo"

And he hugged me. I knew that this man would ever let something happen to me. And I would like to know that my dad would be helping him in that task from afar.

  ˚ * .      *   *   .

I knocked on Emily's door very shyly. The truth was I was scared she knew the real reason why I wanted to read those names.

"Come in," Prentiss said in a strong and firm voice

"I'm sorry, agent..."

"Please, call me Emily"

"Emily..." I said, rather insecure "I need to see the list of the officers from LAPD consulting on our next case, please"

"Sure, is something wrong?" she said while handing me three pages full of names

"No, I just need to look for some names..." I checked the whole room and pointed at a green sofa "Can I sit here?"

"Sure" She answered with confusion. I'm pretty sure she is not used to having people working along in her new (temporary?) office.

And after five minutes I found the names. Richard Olson and Leila benzo. They were consulting. I had to face them again.

I knew for how Emily was looking at me that my facial expression had changed. And I noticed that she was profiling me.

"Please... don't do that" I begged her to stop profiling me because, as good as she is, she could notice in a second what was wrong with me.

"I'm sorry" she apologized shyly

"It's okay. There are some things "normal people" can notice, like a change of expression. Someone could realize that I'm not pleased with reading these names and just move on. But you are a profiler, and you are trained for this. You notice a lot of things more" I explained handing the list back to her and walking to the door.

"Agent Kane... Dakota" I turned to look at her "This thing... that is making you change your expression... feel free to talk to me about it whenever you want"

"I appreciate that, Emily. thank you very much"

I smiled at her, genuinely, but with a sad smile.

And she smiled back at me. It wasn't a pity smile or an "I'm sorry for you" smile. It was more of an "I understand you" smile or an "I'm here" smile.

And I couldn't stop thinking about how relieved it made me feel to know that she was there for me.