Chapter Seven

I looked up as the first flake of ice hit the bridge of my nose, it was icy cold and while the children ran array in the area to play in the snow, I watched closely as it slowly rose in strength. It'll be a very hard night if we didn't find shelter soon before the blizzard come in. I looked over at Father as he strapped his fur tighter before gesturing for us all to follow him, I glanced over at Evy as he seemed less than happy with the knowledge he received last night. 

I grabbed his arm and caught his attention immediately upon doing so, he caught his eyes at me before his expression finally softened and he seemed to sadden as he stared at me. He was afraid now. I grabbed his hand as he held Zayen, who was bounded in many furs, in his other arm while I started to walk with the rest of my people. 

This was it...

The North...

Trees were more like needles with many twigs sticking in the bare wind, they caused the wind to whistle as it brushed past them and knocked the previous snowfall around, making it seem like it was snowing all over again. I looked at the children as they happily ran around, giggling and playing in the chilled snow as it sprinkled around us in soft flakes, it wasn't that bad honestly. I just hate the cold. The frost below us crunched and left our footprints as we walked further into the frosted forest that created a wall that separated the world from the North. I used a tree for leverage as I stepped down a slope before turning to look at Evy as he carefully stepped down while using me as leverage. 

I turned just as something cold pierced the air, nearly impaling me but instead sticking into the tree. I froze as I turned to look at the arrow sticking from the tree just as many more started to fly through the trees as well, I quickly shielded Evy and Zayen as the arrows started to rain down. My people scattered as I quickly spotted a path and led Evy and Zayen to it, I attempted to catch a glimpse of anyone but the snow was now starting to pick up on the arrival of us entering the forest. 

"Twelve!" I turned at the shout of my name as a arrow flew past Evy's ear, cutting it slightly and causing him to shout in pain and stumble to the ground.

I quickly turned my attention back to him as he yanked his hand free of mine and cupped his bleeding ear, panic suddenly rocketed through me at this moment as I realize something very disastrous, they're trying to kill us. I lifted Evy back to his feet and helped him toward the path before spotting a tree that was big enough to hide him, I checked him over once more and saw that he was okay and so was Zayen, thank goodness. I looked around the frosted forest just as Issac, one of the townspeople, started to charge toward the direction the arrows came from, I growled angrily as I punched the tree, I can't leave them here! I debated what to do, even when I knew I had no choice.

"G-Go." Evy moaned, clutching his injured ear and using the other hand to hold Zayen tight to his chest. "I'll b-be okay."

"No." I said, dropping to my knees while cupping his face, though once side was slowly covering in blood. "I'm not leaving you like this."

"This is your f-f-fight, Twelve, they ne-need you." Evy shivered, puffing clouds of crystal that told me he was still freezing, even after I put many furs on him. "Be safe, s-stupid."

"I love you." I said without hesitation, kissing him hard before hurrying toward the direction many other Vikings were.

I dropped the large bag I carried as I ran though the forest, it felt good. It felt damn good. All these years I've held back my inner animal and now it was going to be freed, finally. I heard the loud shouting and clanking of iron as I neared the actual fight, the ground crunched as I bristled past the trees and withdrew my axe as my feet beat against the snowy forest floor as the trees shook from the intense wind that was still rising. I managed to enter the clearing to see most of our men already at battle with the frost army, it was real as I slowed my pace in awe and started at the "demons" as they wore heavy fur that made them look bulky and giant, and their boots gave them added height.