Chapter Eleven

Before they got to the door, they both took a deep breath then let the herald announce them. They walked in and saw Henry on his throne and Jane beside him in her throne and The Duke of Suffolk next to Henry. The Duke of Suffolk smiled at them, letting them they weren't in any trouble.

"Rise." Henry says.

Henry nods to Charles who grabs a piece of parchment next to him and begins to read it.

"By his majesty's grace, you are now known as the Duke and Duchess of Hereford. You are expected to protect and care for the people of Herefordshire. You are expected to be just and fair. His majesty is awarding you with Kinnersley Castle in Herefordshire. You both are being rewarded for your loyalty to the crown and for your hard work in caring and raising his majesty's illegitimate children." Charles reads out.

Madeleine immediately drops into a deep curtsey, showing her gratitude. She nudges James who quickly bows.

"Thank you, your majesty. Your generosity will not be forgotten." Madeleine states.

"No, thank you for raising my children to be proper ladies, your grace." Henry replies.

Henry helps her up and kisses her hand. Madeleine looks up with wide eyes, shocked by Henry's actions. Jane looked to the side, turning red from embarrassment. Charles hands James the deed to his title and new castle.

"Thank you, your majesties." James says bowing then leaving.

Madeleine curtseys and follows after James. She calls for him to slow down and wait for her, but he doesn't listen.

"James! Stop right now!" Madeleine yells.

James stops and looks at her. She runs up to him and grabs his arm so he can't move.

"Chto sluchilos'?" Madeleine asks.

"Nichego takogo." James says.

"Eto yavno ne nichto. Skazhi mne." She demands.

James huffs then says, "O chem vse eto bylo? Yego velichestvo tseluyet tvoyu ruku?"

"Ponyatiya ne imeyu. YA ne khotel, chtoby eto proizoshlo." Madeleine states.

"Zachem yemu eto delat'? On zhenilsya na Dzheyn, potomu chto byl vlyublen v neye." James replies.

"Kak ya uzhe skazal, ya ne znayu." Madeleine says.

She rolls her eyes then walks off to their chambers. She tells Lady Walker to pack their things, that they will be going back to Hatfield immediately. James comes back into the room, looking for her.

"My lord, she does not want to be disturbed." Lady Walker says as James goes to their privy door.

"I am her husband. I will go where I please." James states.

Lady Walker nods her head and continues to pack their belongings.

James walks in and finds Madeleine sitting in her chair by the window reading.

"Go away." Madeleine mutters.

"I'm sorry." James says, kissing her head.

"I do not care, go away." Madeleine states.

James sighs then kisses her head before leaving her.

All their things were packed by the early afternoon. Madeleine tells Lady Walker to get a carriage prepared and she wishes to leave before nightfall. Lady Walker returns minutes later and announces that the carriage is ready.

"Husband, I am leaving now. If you wish to return with me you may." Madeleine states as she walks out of their chambers.

James nods his head and whispers to Lady Walker that he will return later.

Madeleine climbs in the carriage with hopeful thoughts of seeing her children and Lady Elizabeth. She just wanted to be with her children, they would make her feel better.