Part 1-3

1966 Andrew P.O.V

I'm running away from the detonations and bombs, I'm hearing somebody screaming my name, but I'm not brave enough to turn around and see who it was...I was frightening to think a bullet could reach me and kill me just in seconds. I fell down, I must've hurt my leg, because I can't stand up and escape...then I see the shadow of someone approaching me, he's got a gun and will probably kill me. The fear doesn't let me move, it wasn't like I could anyways, I closed my eyes because I couldn't believe my life was over, I never thought I'd die like this.

Then every sound fades away.

"Andrew, Wake up, is late for you to be in bed young man"- Sandra, Andrew's mom said.

Trying to open his eyes and adjust them to the bright light of the day, Andrew realizes it was just a dream.

Mom, I love you- He said with relief in his words.

"Son, you know you still have to go to school right?"- Staring at him with curiosity.

"You saved me"- He said standing up to hug his mother.

"Honey, what did I save you from?"

"From...never mind "- He said considering she'd probably take him to a psychiatric.

"Okay get ready Andrew, this time I'll not take you to school"-she said heading towards the door.

"It's alright mom, besides is the last day of school and I haven't been absent this year"-he said proudly

"When I was your age I'd never be absent, you father always waited for me at the school's entrance"-she said lost in her thoughts.

"Mom please don't. Every time you bring him up, you get all depressed; we both know that is not good for you"-He said trying not to make a big deal about it.

"I don't know what'd I do if something happens to you "-she murmured with watery eyes.

"Good thing we don't have to worry about it"- Andrew said to calm her down.

After that morning, Andrew couldn't concentrate on anything, he hasn't told his mother that there's a possibility of him going to war. The country is recruiting young men to fight in Vietnam, and since nobody would offer to go, they are doing a raft and not a good kind. He's been saving up money to buy his first car and take out for dinner a girl he has a crush on and the thought of him not being able to buy a car made him feel sorry for those that have to leave their lives behind to fight for our country, not having the privilege to live normally.

Later that afternoon, he gets home to find his mother in the floor crying like the day his father past away from cancer. She's been crying for a long time,because her eyes were deeply in sadness.

"Mom, don't tell me you went through the family album again"-he said trying to pick her up from the mess that she has done with the living room.

Then he notices, she has a letter in her shaking hands with the Army logo. Tears streamed down his face...he knew what it meant to her and sadly to him as well.