Chapter 4- Kelsey

Kelsey's POV

"So, what's your name?" I ask. Today is my second day working with this impatient, uncooperative "time traveler", and he is not helping at all. He won’t tell me anything, not even his name. The "time travelor" seems to be observing me and doesn’t answer. I am this close to snapping. This close. I snap my journal closed, the journal that I’m supposed to write notes down about this man. I narrow my eyes. He gives me a weary look.

"You know, if you gave me an answer, all your problems would go away," I try to say it in a silky voice so he would give in. He shakes his head slowly, as if he is taunting me. I stand up and walk out of the "Do Not Enter" room, slamming the door as hard as I could. Mr.Agustis is standing outside, watching through the transparent wall, Mr.Agustis could see in but the "time traveler" could not see out.  I stand beside Mr.Agustis, watching the man through the wall. He seems so tired.

"He's not cracking." I say with a sigh.

"Oh, we'll make him break." Mr.Agustis says with a menacing smile playing at his lips. He looks frightening, his eyes taking on a glassy appearance as if thinking deeply. But what he is thinking of scares me the most. What did he mean by that? Did he mean we were going to torture the "time traveler"? I stare at Mr.Agustis, my mouth agape. Then, as quickly as it had come, he is back to normal. I quickly shake my head, trying to shake the image from my mind. Just then, Mr.Agustis is paged and has to leave.

"Kelsey, I have to go, but can I trust you enough to work on this case?" Mr.Agustis asks, turning to walk away.

"Um, yes Sir." He walks away. I decide to take another go at the "time traveler". I really need to find out his name, I am so sick of calling him the "time traveler".

"Mr....um. Can I just call you Steve?" I ask. He doesn’t even stir, and from the looks of it, he’s asleep. His knees are pulled up to his chin and his head rests on them, his eyes are closed. I sigh again and am about to walk away when he murmurs something in his sleep.

"Sophia."

_____________________________________________________________

Sophia? Whoever that was must be involved somehow, but why? I press my thumb into my door's lock. The fingerprint lock was invented way before my time, but I still admire whoever made it. The door opens to a tipsy Bentley playing the touch screen wall.

"Bentley!" I say sharply, "Have you been playing that the entire time I was gone?!" Bentley doesn’t even notice me, he is too focused on his game. I sigh and drop my journal to the white end table by the couch. Everything in my house is white, I realize. From the glowing fridge to the paneled white walls. 

I plop down on the couch beside Bentley, thinking about Sophia. It unearthed a memory deep in my system. A memory I had tried to keep hidden. A memory I had all been trying to forget.

It was the day when I was twelve years old and I had just gotten out of Grade school. The path I would take was determined by the test that I had taken. I remember sitting in my chair, bouncing from excitement. A nervous girl with blonde hair was sitting next to me. I asked her if she were ok, but she just shook her head. Some Superiors came in, ready to tell us our scores. The man looked at me with a delighted smile on his face when I read that I got a ninety six out of a hundred. The blonde girl paled when she read her score. I had thought she would go with me down the Superiors hallway, but no, she was walked down the Anomalies hallway, and I instantly felt bad for her. But, to this day, I still remember her. And her name.

Sophia.