Chapter 1- Gotta Spice Things Up

WAKE UP!? HUH! YOU LAZY BUM! OR AM I GONNA COME FOR YOU LAh?

You wake up to the sound of high-pitched screeches and not the alarm. You've never felt so confused in your life. The next thing you know you ran out to the bathroom and put on a facial wash, toner, moisturizer, cream, lip balm, as quickly as you can. With your instincts you know, that mom being angry is on another level.

Then the bathroom door opened and you looked down as you felt embarrassed. You glance at the slippers, they grey shorts, the bright pink shirt and you look up. You went agape, shocked and silent.

Because you are looking at Eddy Chen. He's right in front of you. That same face, and he has a towel wrapped in his head. You called out

"EDDY-"

WHO EDDY? WHAT EDDY? WHY EDDY? A BOY YOU KNOW FROM MATH CLASS HUH? WHY YOU NO TELL ME LAH!? NO DATING till uNiversIty HUH! YOU NOT YET IN COLLEGE, OR YOU WANNA GIVE ME HEART ATTACC!!!

"Wait, you're not my mom-"

WHAT YOU SAY? HAIYAA~ tsk tsk YOU MUST'VE BUMP YOUR HEAD? GO OUT AND TAKE YOUR VIOLIN, YOU WASTING TIME HERE IN THE TOILET TALKING WEIRD THINGS DO YOU NO GOOD!

"But -"

NO BUTS. EVERY 60 SECONDS ONE MINUTE PASSES IN AFRICA. YOU GO VIOLIN, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSESSSS LAh~~~

It all happened in a whim. He took you by the ear with the right hand and left hand taking a fluffy slipper. You whined as you spoke but he didn't look back at all. He brought you back to the room and slammed the door.

IF I DON'T HEAR VIOLIN, YOU DON'T COME OUT FOR LUNCH hMPh

Those were the last muffled sounds behind the door, then footsteps. Then silence.

What in the world is going on??

Too many questions are in your head, and you don't know how to respond. Rather, you climbed up your chair and got that case from your closet.

You opened it and you waved the dust away.

It's been a while, hey, but I want my lunch later.

You opened the case with unfamiliar gestures. and click, the lock opened, and there goes your violin.

When was the last time you played it? Maybe 3 years ago. After you were forced into extra-curricular activities, the violin became a hectic nightmare. All those scales, arpeggios, and pieces drove you into not just a craze but a frustration. After attaining a grade 8 abrsm, you told your mom you'd quit because you have academics to do. Besides, you have mentioned selling it, but your mom needs you to play it in front of the uncles and aunties, hey?

You grabbed the bow, placed the shoulder rest on the violin, and played open strings. You realize how long this has been that you forgot to put rosin. Then you reached out to your drawer to find the pieces you haven't seen in years and rested them on your desk. so you played, revisiting the fingerings, the shifts, the vibrato, all those skills...but you didn't find the passion, you find it dull.

Nevertheless, you have NO IDEA how Eddy is your mom now, so that's the one thing you could stick to. But then your mind drifts away as you play the next set of arpeggios.

Where am I? Why is Eddy here? What time is it? Why do I have to be in this room? I'm hungry-

You placed your bow back in the case. You looked at the time, noon? Almost time to go out-

wHy nO viOlin sOUnds yOU thinK you'Re doNe alReaDY!?

JEEZ. You got a total jumpscare there as Eddy opened the door again. EVEN IF LUNCH IS 12, WHAT YOU DOIN NOW!?