4. Amira's passion

Amira's village, an afternoon

Amira placed the answer papers in the textbook and hid it secretly in Mahdi's trunk box. She quickly ran to the terrace and maintained that she was drying the clothes along with Fatima. Though Amira was not happy that she could not study, she was content that she could at least learn a few things this way.

"We have visitors," said Amira's father as he welcomed the guests, signalling his wife to bring some tea and snacks along.

"They are here to see Amira," he said, asking his wife to call Amira.

Amira came downstairs and stood behind Fatima.

"Amira, you are now 11, old enough to get married," her father said, "The groom's father runs a textile business in Amman, and the groom would take over his father's business soon. We have discussed all the things, and we are planning the wedding in the next week."

"He is your husband," he added, pointing towards a 30-year old man sitting along with his father, uncle, and brothers.

Amira did not know how to react. She wanted to shout that she is not ready for marriage. She wanted to tell everyone that her dreams are different. She wanted to study. She wanted to ask her father to cancel the wedding, ask her mother to convince her father, ask Fatima, and Mahdi to stand for her. But she stood silent, expressionless, as she knew their reply – Shhh...

The groom's family joined Amira's father for lunch. They discussed things related to the wedding, as they relished some authentic and delicious Jordanian dishes. They decided to hold the wedding on the next Friday. After a few hours, the groom's family left for their city.

"Who are they?" asked Mahdi as he removed his shoes and entered the house.

"Amira's groom," his father said, "We fixed her marriage."

"When?"

"Exactly one week later."

Mahdi knew Amira would not be happy about this.

Amira tried convincing her mother and siblings to change her father's mind.

"He is your father. He knows what's best for you, for us, for the family," said her mother.

"I can guard you when you are reading, not when you don't want to get married. Every girl should get married," said a helpless Fatima.

"I believe you should study. I trust your ability. But I cannot say a word in front of abba." Mahdi tried to convince his sister to accept their father's decision without any second thought.

Six days passed by very soon. Amira is unable to think of a solution.

Tomorrow is her wedding. She had only one more day for her to do something.

The family had just finished their dinner with Mansaf. Amira, Fatima, and Mahdi sat on the terrace. Yaara stood near the entrance to see if anyone is coming.

"Are you sure?" asked Fatima, consoling her crying sister.

"I want to study," Amira was firm.

"I don't see a way," Mahdi expressed his helplessness once again.

"Farid is coming," alerted Yaara.

Amira wiped off her tears, and they changed the topic.

"Amman has a lot of ...," Mahdi was saying something when Farid interrupted.

"What are you doing here?" asked Farid.

"Nothing, brother. She will be leaving for Amman tomorrow, after the wedding. So, we are just talking about Amman and various places she can visit," Mahdi convinced Farid that everything was fine.

"Farid ...," his father called from the hall.

"Coming, Abba," Farid left.

"I only see one solution to this problem, but that is not feasible," said Mahdi, "leave this place."

"Are you crazy?" said a worried Fatima, "She is a kid. She is a girl. It would not be safe."

"I want to study," said Amira, "I am a kid. I am a girl. I want to study."

Moved by Amira's passion and determination, Fatima broke into tears. She hugged her younger sister tightly as she said, "I can understand your dreams. But we can do nothing, Amira. You will not be safe if you leave this place alone."

"Go to sleep. Tomorrow is the wedding day. You will have to wake up in the morning, and we will have a lot of work to do," Amira's mother shouted from downstairs.

"Let us go," said Fatima, "else everyone will doubt something is not fine."

Everyone went into their rooms. Amira's mother, aunts, and cousins are exhausted from work but are excited about the wedding tomorrow. The lights went off, and everyone slept in their rooms.

Amira could not sleep. She placed a few pillows and stuffed some clothes under the blanket to make it appear like she is sleeping there. She slowly stepped out of the room and went around the house to see if anyone is awake. Everyone is fast asleep. She slowly opened the backdoor and stepped out.

Someone held her hand. She panicked.

She started breathing heavily. Her face turned pale. She slowly turned behind.

Mahdi, it is.

Amira stood speechless. She is relieved it was Mahdi but is worried he might ask her to go inside. She looked at him.

He pulled out a colourful thread from the woollen jacket he is wearing. He tied it Amira's hand. "I will always be there for you."

"Go, chase your dreams," he hugged her.

"Run away!"

***************************************************

Present-day

Paris, a party night

Amira went upstairs to her room. She pulled out a suitcase from her almirah.

She took out the thread from her suitcase.

I love you, brother, she said, with tears in her eyes, as he held the thread close to her heart.

"Amira ...," someone called from the hall.

"Coming ...," she kept the thread back in the suitcase and went back to the hall.

"Where were you?" asked Julia.

"I spilled some water in the kitchen. I was wiping the floor," Amira tried to convince Julia that she is alright.

"My chocolate ...," Myra pulled a bar of chocolate from Ted's hand.

"Hmm... Chocolates do keep you happy, little one," Cathy smiled, handing Myra another chocolate bar.

"Yes. You live longer if you are happy. Like Granny!" sighed Myra running into Zahira's hands.

Zahira's eyes were wet as she hugged Myra. No, my girl. Sometimes sorrow can also make you live longer, Zahira said to herself.

***************************************************

(Move to chapter 5...)