Chapter Three - Roomate

The pressure inside the car that you and your father occupy gets more intense each minute that passes by. The dead silence is piercing, you could hear every little sound surrounding you. The car tires running against the road below you, the rattle of the supplies needed for today's meeting ruffling in the back seat, you felt uneasy.

With this silence, it gave you plenty of time to think back to the argument you had with your parents this morning. Did I go too far? You think to yourself. After pondering for a couple seconds, you decide to shake it off and believe that it was best to say what was on your mind. No matter how stubborn or rude you may have come off. If an awkward car ride means that you can get through to your family, then you would consider it to be worth it.

You cup your chin and rest your head on the side of the window, giving you a clear view of what's outside. As of right now, there isn't much to look at. Your father is on the highway, so all you can make out is road, sky and trees. With the occasional ad positioned on the side of said road. You let out a quiet sigh and trail your eyes back and forth, taking in the bland landscape.

Actually, should I apologize?

As much as you believe that you were in the right in that situation, maybe an apology wouldn't hurt... maybe it would make them even more understanding? You close your eyes and lift your head from your hand, changing your position upright, looking at the road ahead of you. You pause for a few seconds before finally speaking.

"I..." you mutter, quiet, but loud enough for your dad to hear. You glance in his direction, and see a glint of curiosity in his eyes, but they don't turn your way. His eyes stay fixated on the road. You begin to freeze up, unable to make out the words that you would like to say. Your throat closes, and you can hear the pressure double in size, as if it has all transferred onto your shoulders. You feel as if you are sitting in the middle of a theatre stage, and thousands of audience members are watching you crumble in your seat. I need to speak, now. No more tension.

"I'm... I'm sorry. For how I acted this morning." You croak out, your voice sounds strained and you wonder if he noticed. You don't have the guts to look at his reaction, so you quickly twist your head to your feet. Desperately waiting for an answer.

...

...

...But he doesn't say anything. You stared at your feet for what felt like an eternity, and you didn't hear your father utter a single word in response. A couple moments later, you decide to raise your head back to the road approaching, and start ransacking your brain for more things to say, something to just fill the emptiness inside of this car. "You understand why I reacted like that, right? I wasn't in the wrong..." you say desperately.

Feeling brave, you jerk your head to face him again, but you're only met with the same neutral expression he's had since this morning. He still has yet to make a sound. Try harder.

"I just, i wish you could've told me sooner. A stranger moving into our house is a big deal, it's dangerous, you don't know what they're li—"

"It's not like this is the first time we've let a student rent out our room." Your father says sternly, catching you off guard. A small shiver shoots up your spine as you process his response. You can feel your hands start to get clammy, you clasp them together nervously.

"I know... but last time we had less to lose. Your business wasn't as widespread as it is now. We have classified documents everywhere, what if they get a hold of them?"

"They won't."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually let strangers into our home. When they apply to live with us, I always proceed with a makeshift background check on them, so I know if they're trustworthy or not. You don't understand anything, Y/n. Don't you know that? You're still young. You just graduated high school a couple years ago. You have a lot more to experience and understand, and more importantly you don't have authority over me. So don't think you can run your mouth like you did this morning, because I will NOT be afraid to put you in your place."