Every Note - By Khi

Hanako of the opera One Shot

By: Khi

a little spicy? 🌶 just a tad bit ;>

"Higher." Yashiro's singing instructor told her.

"Higher!" He said again.

"HIGHER!"

How did she get here? Let's go back to when she was about to go to bed. Her singing instructor, Hanako, came and landed on her balcony.

Hanako San. The infamous singing instructor in the opera house. Known for being a harsh singing coach, punishing his students if they got even the tiniest note wrong. But he's not bad as the rumors say. He was a caring sensei who wanted the best for his students. At least that what Yashiro saw in him.

Nene met him a couple months ago when she had wanted to get better at singing to impress her beloved senpai, Minamoto Teru.

Hanako knocked on her balcony door, "Are you ready Yashiro?" Nene got in her shoes and opened the door to separate the barrier between her and Hanako. Yashiro nodded.

Hanako swooped her up. "Hold on tight!" He said before taking off, running silently on the roofs of the towns peoples' houses and jumping so high, almost like you're flying. Her white silk dress flowing along in the mist of the night.

He had done this many times with Yashiro to get around places, but she never got used to the feeling of being in the sky.

When they had gotten to the opera house, Hanako entered the top floor rehearsal room through the balcony. This rehearsal room was Hanako's favorite. Instead of a traditional roof, it was a skylight dome where you could look up and see the stars.

In the center of the room was a grand piano. Dimly lit, partially so the folks who passed by the opera house could not see the two people in the room late at night, and partially because you could still see the stars without much light pollution.

Nene started practicing and Hanako was playing as the accompanist. They got to a point in the ballad where Nene's voice had to be high, but she couldn't reach the note properly.

And that's where they are now.

Every time they tried, and tried, and tried, Yashiro just couldn't get the note.

Nene sighed. "It's useless Hanako kun! I can't reach the high note properly."

Hanako stood up and looked directly at her. Yashiro felt her heart beating fast. Did she have a crush on him? No way! She only thought of him as a friend. She knew Hanako's feelings for her. She overheard him say it to her while she was 'asleep,' but she didn't know herself. Yashiro was in denial.

"Hanako ku-?" That was when he lifted her chin and stole her lips. It lasted for about 3 seconds. Nene had felt that the kiss had no meaning to it. No passion. But she liked it...

"For every time you don't get the note right, a little bit of your breath will be taken away." Hanako said. Yashiro was stupefied. She didn't know what to say, her mouth opened and closed but no words came out. Hanako's teaching methods were always odd, but it worked. He sat back down on his piano.

"Repeat."

The cycle went on, every mistake resulted in an embrace a little longer than the last.

Nene was tired. Her strength and energy was gone. Nene was breathing heavily, trying to gain all the air she had lost.

Hanako got off his piano yet again and put his gloved hand on her chest and his other hand on her shoulder.

"Breathe, Yashiro. Breathe." Hanako told her. Her heavy gasping soon matched with Hanako's breathing.