Chapter 12

The next morning, my alarm jolts me awake, and I fumble around in the semi-darkness to locate my phone, which was charging on the bed. The room was quiet, devoid of the usual sunrays filtering through the curtains, instead enveloped in a dim, overcast gloom. 

My fingers pat through the mattress until they encounter my phone, and I quickly silence the alarm. 

"Is it raining?" I groan, swinging my legs off the bed. With a languid stretch, I made my way toward the window, pulling back the curtains to reveal a steady downpour outside. The weather had taken a turn for a depressing demeanor, casting a somber mood over the day. I let out a deep sigh, my breath visible in the chilly air, and then proceeded to yawn and stretch again before heading to the bathroom for a much-needed morning shower. 

The cold tires sent shivers up my spine as I entered the bathroom. Turning on the faucet, I patiently awaited the water to warm up as I took off my clothes. 

♥♡♥

"How are you feeling?" Holden asks, breaking the silence that lingers between us. After having breakfast, he suggested giving a ride to the clinic to see Angelica. Given the dangerous weather, I accepted his offer without hesitation. 

"Disgusted," I reply simply, my gaze fixed on the rain-soaked scenery outside. 

Holden chuckles as he navigates a turn. "Why's that?" 

"Rainy days are the worst. Everything is wet, and it smells weird," I explain, my face scrunching up as I observe mud puddles forming on the streets. "It's terrible." 

"Not many people would agree with that," Holden remarks as we approach the clinic. "Should I go in?" 

I unbuckle myself and reply, "We can ask if they allow two visitors. I'm sure Angelica won't mind seeing you." 

Exiting the car, we made our way to the clinic's front desk. The same lady from last time greets us with a cheerful smile. She seems even more upbeat today. 

"Hello, what can I do for you today?" she asks with a bright smile, her eyes twinkling. I hand over my ID. "I'm here to visit a patient, Angelica Wu, my little sister. Is it okay for two visitors?" 

She nods, accepting Holden's ID for security check-in. "Of course, and here are your name tags. You are all checked in." 

"You're cheerful today," I observe. She smiles, "It's raining, it's beautiful." 

My eyes widen at her words before morphing into true disgust and her smile becomes a frown then we walk away from her. Holden chuckles, "The way you looked at her, I think you've hurt her feelings." 

"Good, whoever likes rain is crazy," I say simply. We reached Angelica's room, knocked, and were welcomed by a soft voice. She smiles at my entrance and then in surprise as she notices Holden. "Holden!"

I frown at her greeting. "Bunny, what about me?" 

"Who now?" Angelica teases me, and I roll my eyes as I take a seat next to her. Holden sat on the opposite side. "Hey, little kiddo, how are you?" 

"I heard that it's raining outside," she says, leaning back and setting down her book. Her eyes shift from Holden to the window as she gazes outside, and continues, "Charlotte, you're not a fan of this weather, right?" 

"Of course not. Why would I be a fan of this weather? It's so...blah," I remark, furrowing my brow and making a disgusted face, causing Angelica and Holden to chuckle. 

"So...what are you doing here?" Angelica asks curiously. I smile and gently pat her cheeks, saying, "I just want to see you." 

She raises a brow, silently urging me to continue. Smiling, I take her hand and explain, "I saw Father yesterday, so I wanted to see you today."