America

It's been almost a week since Amberly asked me to become her daughter. The queen had decided to dismiss Kriss without telling her about the adoption in order to avoid any drama. Obviously, Kriss would find out when she watched the Report tonight, but at least she would already be at home. With everything that had happened, an angered Kriss was something that neither of us were willing to deal with.

I stood back stage as Amberly addressed the nation. "As you may know, a few days ago, my son, Prince Maxon, was supposed to propose to his future wife. Unfortunately, there was a rebel attack before he got the chance to make that announcement. Many lives were lost in the attack, including my husband and son." She paused for a bit, collecting her thoughts before continuing. "I realize that this leaves Illéa without an heir. I also realize, through the polls in the media, that you, the people, favored Lady America.

"I was planning to call off the Selection entirely, but it was brought to my attention the day after the attack, that the rebels had killed Lady America's family. So, in response to these unfortunate events, I have decided to adopt Lady America, giving her a new family and Illéa a new heir. May I present to you, Princess America Schreave." The room erupted in applause as she said that.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped on stage and walked to stand beside Amberly, who welcomed me with a hug. Once everyone had settled down, she turned back to continue her announcement. "The coronation date is undecided as of right now. The funeral will be held on Monday. I urge you to come together and unite in these grieving times. Do anything possible to resist the rebels that slaughter our people everyday. Fight in any way that you can. Thank you and good night."

With that, the Report ended, and Amberly and I headed to a dinner that was either going to be full of stories of our loved ones or awkward silence and staring at the two empty seats at the table.

--------------------------

The dreaded Monday had arrived. The funeral for the king and Maxon would happen first, followed by a small funeral for my family.

My maids had me in a high collar black dress. The neckline was a sweetheart neckline and the sleeves were long cape sleeves. There was floral silver detailing sewn onto the shoulders, and a band navy blue velvet was sewn around the waist. The shoes were black heels with floral silver floral detailing that matched the details on the shoulders. The only jewelry that I wore was my songbird necklace. My makeup was light and natural, and my hair was done up in a braid crown.

The funeral would be open casket, which meant that I would have to see his lifeless body, and I would have to watch as he was buried six feet under ground, things I wasn't ready to do

The funeral would be open casket, which meant that I would have to see his lifeless body, and I would have to watch as he was buried six feet under ground, things I wasn't ready to do. This wasn't something I had imagined having to do for a long time or ever.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a knock on the door. Since I was still getting my makeup done, Lucy went to answer the door. In the mirror, I saw my new mother, Queen Amberly, enter my room. Amberly wore a long sleeve black dress, with a deep v-neckline, high collar, and beaded embroidery on the neckline and sleeve cuffs. Her black shoes were open toes, and kind of resembled a boot shape. Her hair was pulled back into a low bun and a diamond tiara sat on top of her head.