Chapter 2

The was town was small to those who just glance, but the forest around the settlement counted. The fauns and centaurs lived on the outside, for it was law. 

Before this law, humans, centaurs, fauns, orges, and fairies lived together, but soon a pair had a marriage. The queen was disgusted, then made this law. So now, races other than humans, live either live on the outside of town unless employed by humans.

Alice lead Dedrom to Terilori's house, which was a place she stayed whenever she needed when the king and queen were traveling, in this case it was a getaway. Alice knocked on the wide door quickly.

                   "Hang on." A weary voice called to them. "I said I don't give-" The tall man halted once he opened the door to see the young women, then frowning. "Alice? What are you doing here?"

                    "I'll tell you. Please let us stay a while." Alice asked politely. "Just the night."

Treilori thought for a moment. "Oh... Fine. Just the night, but if your father finds out, I'll lose my job." Alice was inside before he even started explaining. "But Dedrom shouldn't you be-"

                                    "I spent the night with Alice. I hate going to the market with my mother, especially for clothing." Dedrom cut off, Alice knew she'd say that.

The two young girls sat down catching relief, relaxing on the cotton couch. Treilori had warm tea settled in the middle of the table, which was often there.

                             "So what happened?" Treilori asked calmly. 

                             "We just wanted to get away for a while. But we did see-"  

                        "That was nothing Alice. It wasn't our concern." Dedrom cut it. She often did when things weren't to be bothered with. Alice looked down into her hands in thought. 

Treilori and the girls chatted about the upcoming Balance Festival, a time of peace and equality. Even those who weren't human were able to attend, although things were exactly equal. 

                          "So when do you plan to return?" Treilori asked as he escorted the two to bed, holding up a candle and some fresh tea.  

                          "Soon. After we mill about in the market or something." Dedrom answered, laying in bed. Soon, the lights were out and they were asleep.

The pale man made his way through the black, empty market. He had to succeed. What the king does to him is painful. Ever since the man was a child this had happened to him. He can't fail this time. 

He strode deeper through the empty market, windowing through stands and carts. A scampering sound pasted and the the skinny man hunkered behind a stand, unnoticed. 

                             "Your a fool. There's no one here." A violent, raspy voice yelled. "Itami will be here. Soon." 

                         "No! Please! Just listen. There's an old lady I know. She can die now!" 

Just then, a huge black shadow arose, fading and twisting through the air, then letting out a harsh skree. It pained the small man's ears. 

                           "You failed, again..." The booming voice roared. "And it won't happen again."  

A high scream flowed out, along with black blood hitting and smearing as the Darkling died. His body twisting in pain. Itami only smiled and faded away, followed by the other Chaotic. The pale man was astonished.