Chapter three: Big Red Bag

Red and blue fluorescent lights swirled through the foggy sky, illuminating the house. Four cop cars lined the streets followed by an ambulance. I watched cops and paramedics run back and forth from the house to their vehicles. Acting like she still had a chance to be saved from death. Although, everyone knew including myself that she was indeed gone.

I sat on the porch in a daze, confused and broken. The autumn air was cool and powerful. Tears began to fall again, feeling like icy rivers against my cheeks. Thoughts scrambled in my mind. Anger and sadness overwhelmed my body. Why would she lie about being clean? What if I would've never left? Would she still be alive? I felt guilty. This was all my fault. The tears flowed faster down my face as I buried my face in the palms of my hands. I began to sob, trying to catch my breath.

"Hello Miss Carter." A soft voice echoed through the morning air. I looked up to see a tall, bulky, older cop staring at me with worry in his eyes. I wiped away my tears as fast as I could. Attempting to make myself look as presentable as possible.

"Hi officer." I uttered smoothly.

"I'm Officer Hanz." He held out his wrinkled hand. I placed my hand into his shaking it tightly. "How are you holding up?" He questioned putting his hands on his hips. I bit my finger and glanced away. Stopping to think for a moment.

"I guess not so great." I blushed with embarrassment.

"May I sit?" He said motioning to the seat next to me. I nodded and patted the seat gently.

"I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand how this must be incredibly hard for you. With that, I was wondering if I could take you down to the station to ask you a few questions about this morning." He questioned. I ran my hands through my hair and sighed loudly.

"I suppose I don't get a choice do I?" A sarcastic chuckle escaped my lips. Attempting to hold back the tears.

"Well, I want to talk to you about the incident before the memories fade. I don't want to open a healing wound by having you come in weeks or months later. Just to relive today. Which I know you wouldn't love doing." He declared leaning forward to set his elbows on his knees. He stared at me awaiting my response.

"Let's just get this over with then, but please not here. Anywhere but here." I stood up abruptly. He nodded firmly. Rising from his seat he marched off the porch.

"Follow me. I'll take you down to the station." He said. Officer Hanz led me to a cop car nearest to the driveway of my house. As I hoped in, the new, black leather seats squeaked loudly. I rolled down the window to get one final glance at the place I called home since I was born. I gazed at the brick ranch and remembered all the happy memories made in that house. Remembering how it looked when the sunset hit the windows just perfectly. When I used to run outside chasing butterflies or running through the sprinkler during a hot summer day. Now the only thing that house reminded me of was my mother. I knew that it was the place I'd might have to live in, but it would never be home again.

The cop car roared loudly, snapping me out of my thoughts. Officer Hanz gave me an eerie look.

"You ready." He said sternly. I gave him a sly glance and nodded. He started to pull away and just as I glanced at the house one last time. I noticed two paramedics pushing a yellow and black stretcher with a huge black bag on top. The stretcher resembled a bumble bee, the stinger being the bag. The bag that held my mom's lifeless body. The feeling felt like thousands of bees stinging me at once. I gripped the leather handle of the door and refrained from bursting into hysteria. Catching my breath, my mental breakdown was delayed by a lanky man dressed in protective equipment. In his hand he gripped a red, plastic bag with bold lettering placed across the bag.

I squinted to make out the letters. Leaning towards the window to get a final look, I finally made out the eight letter word. I gasped in disbelief.

Printed in faded font read, "Evidence"