I. This Feeling

"You're never going to get anywhere like that."

With the day's training over, Eduan's data pulls a pre-poured glass of wine from his weapon inventory and leans back in a chaise lounge.

"As if I would take advice from my father, let alone his data," says Khun, his eyes glued to Baam's back heading toward the residence.

Eduan's data swirls the wine in his glass delicately so as not to spill on his yellow track suit.

"Do you think a coward could overthrow me? I know your type. You're so comfortable searching for answers but you don't know what to do when the most obvious answer stares right at you with its golden eyes."

"Don't you think your advice is far from applicable here?," Khun says, "I don't know who you were back then, but if the outside you is any indication, you're a bit of a womanizer."

Eduan's data holds in a laugh without moving a muscle in his face.

"Suit yourself. You seem to have inherited more than my ice spear--you may even be more like me than you think."

More like him than I think? What kind of garbage is he talking about? Khun stares stoically at his father's data. "Whatever," he says rolling his eyes, "I need a shower and a change of clothes."

"The longer you keep quiet, the more likely you'll grow to regret losing something that you wouldn't have lost if you had spoken up."

Khun doesn't bother making any kind of gesture to signify his departure.

"You really think you're the only one that's ever looked at a boy like that?," Eduan's data calls after him, but Khun already filled his ears with ice shinsoo.

~

While waiting for the bath to fill, Baam reviews the day's training. Although he's able to make an orb, he still can't control it very well. He wants to get stronger. He needs to get stronger in order to protect --

He recalls ice crystals forming between two pale cupped hands. Strands of chin length blue hair tucked behind ears. Khun.

The bath not yet ready, Baam feels a warmth spread through his body radiating from his core. What is this feeling? He's felt it only a handful of times: once at the Hand of Arlene, again during the Workshop Battle, and once more after the Dallar Show. Maybe this had something to do with being an irregular.

But Rachel never told him about this. Did she lie to him when she explained friendship? Maybe she forgot. He can't believe she would have left out something so important. Maybe she doesn't know what this feeling is either. After all, one can only teach another what they themselves know.

Baam steps into the bath and runs his hands through his hair. He thinks of Khun putting his hair up in a ponytail. He feels a sudden ache in a part of his body he hardly thinks about. There's no way Rachel knows about this feeling.

Closing his eyes, he lets the steam relax his tired muscles.

If Rachel was a star to me, then Khun-- does that make Khun my sky? The very air that I breathe.

When he's done toweling off, Baam looks at his blurred reflection in the fogged up mirror. With his finger, he draws two parallel lines on the glass.

~

Rak is smashing bananas and spreading the mush with a butter knife between rocks. It's his turn to make dinner.

"Uh, Mr. Rak," Baam interrupts, "I don't think turtles can eat rocks."

"HAH! You thought I would share my banana and rock sandwiches? You turtles are too weak for your leader's cooking!"

"You're the only one stupid enough to eat rocks, crocodile," says Khun closing the door behind him.

"SHUT UP BLUE TURTLE!"

"Anyways, who let the crocodile cook?" Khun says. First father's data and now this? "My head is going to explode."

"I'll gladly help you explode the brains right out your skull with my fist!" Endorsi says with a smile.

Baam pokes his head out from behind the open refrigerator door. "Endorsi," he pleads, "that's not a very nice thing to say." Turning to Khun, "I'm sorry, it was me, but don't worry I found these salmon steaks."

"Oh, Baam. You're here." Endorsi says blushing and quickly adds, "Is that salmon for me? You're the best boyfriend a girl could ask for."

"Endorsi," Khun retorts, "did you ever think to ask Baam how he feels? You can't just go around declaring innocent boys your boyfriend just because you're a princess."

"That's exactly the kind of power a princess has. Besides, Baam isn't as innocent as he looks. We did go on a date on the 30th floor you know."

Baam is silent. Khun's stomach turns. He knew about the date, but never asked Baam about it.

"Googly-eyed turtle, if you try to hurt my prey you'll have my spear to answer to."

"Bring it on crocodile."

While Baam is preparing the salmon, Khun starts up the rice cooker.

"Um, Khun," Bam says.

"Oh, sorry, do you need a spoon?" Khun steps to the side, but as Baam approaches the drawer, he catches a whiff of sandalwood from his friend's still wet hair.

Khun calmly turns his back to Baam and gives a slight wave of his hand. "Give me a call when it's done."

Hansung Yu's data looks at Khun curiously.

Back in his room, Khun exhales loudly, relaxing his shoulders. That was close. His face is still flushed.