II. I Might Be a Little Different

Baam gathers shinsoo and packs it tightly into a small orb. The shinsoo flows and swirls together tighter and tighter like a whirlpool or the eye of a tornado.

"Good," says Eduan's data.

In the distance, Baam can see Khun infusing a spear with ice under Hansung Yu's observation.

"Um, Sir," Baam says without breaking focus. "Will you tell me about my father?"

"What do you want to know?"

"Were you close?"

"The closest at a certain point."

Baam releases his shinsoo orb and turns a nearby island to dust. "What do you mean?" Again, he gathers shinsoo into a tight orb.

"We knew eachother before, on the outside. It was before he met Arlene and invited her to join our group."

"Really?!" Baam can't contain his disbelief.

"You could say we shared a bond that was similar to the one that he had with your mother but different."

"Sorry. I don't understand."

Eduan's data ties his long hair up into a ponytail and leaves a few pieces out on either side to frame his face.

"V's capacity to love wasn't limited to women."

"You mean how I'm friends with Endorsi, Rak and Khun?" Baam asks.

"No. That's not the same kind of love."

Baam remembers the loneliness of the cave. He mulls over the relief he felt every time Rachel visited, the despair he felt when she returned to the light above where he was not meant to go, his desperation in chasing her, and his fear of returning to the lonely him in the cave.

He thinks of Khun: his angular jaw, slightly jutting collar bones, the small braid he sometimes makes in his hair. When he thinks of Khun loosening his tie, he feels that warmth again -- that unfamiliar ache.

"Watch it!" Eduan's data says as he counters Baam's orb with a zap of lightening before it makes contact with his feet. "Maybe we'd better call it a day."

~

"Khun," Baam says in the residence later that night, "can I talk to you?"

"Always, Baam. Why don't we go to my room?"

Khun's room is spotlessly clean and he's placed his blue bandana over the lampshade to dim the harsh light. He sits on the bed and motions for Baam to join him.

"Baam, actually, there's something I have to ask you."

"Oh, what is it Khun?"

"What happened on your date with Endorsi?"

"Oh," Baam looks relieved, "for some reason she pressed her lips to my cheek."

Khun stiffens slightly. "How did you feel?"

"Glad not to be alone in the cave anymore."

Khun stifles a laugh.

"What is it?" Baam asks.

"You didn't feel tingly or warm through your body or anything?"

Baam looks perplexed but shortly makes the connection.

"No, of course not. I only feel that around you."

Khun is stunned, mouth agape. He thinks he's misheard, but Baam continues speaking.

"I wasn't sure what it meant, but your father's data said something to me today about how my dad's love wasn't limited to women or something."

Wait. V was queer?! Khun can't believe his ears. And why does my father know this?

"Baam," Khun asks, "do you think you're the same way?"

"I don't know. I might be the same, but I might be a little different."

"Do you trust me?" Khun asks.

"Absolutely."

"Can I try something?"

"Okay, but what?"

"The same thing Endorsi did on your date."

"Oh. Yeah, okay." As soon as he agrees, Baam understands this isn't the same thing that Endorsi did on their date. For one thing, he's nervous about how his body will respond. For another, he wonders if Khun sometimes feel the same aches as him.

Khun hasn't felt this excited since he raided his family's treasure room. He leans in and kisses Baam on the cheek. Who is he kidding? He's never felt this excited period.