Routine of Failure

After winning the robot battle (again), Jeremie offered to teach Sissi about computer software. "Then you add the annex program there and... yeah! Just like that! Wow, you're a fast learner, Sissi."

"Thanks. Although, I think I'll stick to making machines. Software is really confusing for me," Sissi laughed along with Jeremie. She glanced at Jeremie's computer screen, gazing at its silent still face.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I'm just... a little tired. I think I'm going to head to bed. I'll see you in the morning, okay?" Sissi grabbed her cane and walked out. The lone halls echoed with the steady tap of her cane. Her body and head weighed heavily on her soul. With Judo training and making trinkets, her private fight against XANA was taking a toll.

"Let's just hope that XANA doesn't blow something up tonight," Sissi murmured. Of course, she didn't plan for XANA to cancel the soccer field's gravity the next day. While she helped the Lyoko warriors where she could, she decided to keep her distance for a while. Just don't get in the way she told herself. Easier said than done.

There were a couple of reasons why it was hard. First, she had to act like she didn't know Aelita, Lyoko, and XANA. Second, she had to figure out different ways to fight XANA without blowing her cover. Third, she had to make sure she wasn't the damsel in distress. If she was, the Lyoko Warriors could lose precious time saving her. Sissi gripped her cane tighter just at the thought of it. Useless.

But at the end of another XANA attack, Sissi walked towards the Lyoko gang sitting on the bench the next day. "Okay, now what did I say last time?" Sissi grumbled to herself. "Well," She said to them, "You all look cheerful. Except for Ulrich."

"You would be too if you had to be me," Ulrich groused.

"I find that hard to believe." Sissi rolled her eyes as she smiled at Yumi. "And how was your day, Yumi?"

"Good?" she replied with a raised eyebrow.

Sissi grinned nervously and scratched the side of her face, "Sorry for the small talk. It's kind of weird talking to you guys sometimes."

"Why, are we that amazing to you?" Odd asked.

"No, dog brain. I mean, I don't talk with you guys all at once. To be honest I," She paused and shook her head, "Ah, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to say hello."

"Well, there's space for one more on the bench," Jeremie said kindly.

Sissi smiled, "Thanks, but I think it's best that I stay ou- I mean, that I leave."

"Didn't you want to ask for Jeremie's help with a computer problem. Something about circuitry," Yumi asked.

"Oh, right!" Sissi suddenly remembered her yesterday conversation. "Well, I think I know what's wrong now. Thanks for the help." That said, she walked away. Yumi watched her leave. Formless thoughts swirled in her head, and the dark-haired teen couldn't figure out how to make them useful. Two imps on Yumi's shoulders tugged at her mind. Do this do that, they said. But Yumi knew in her heart to do the right thing.

"Hmph," Yumi grumbled quietly at her thoughts. But Jeremie voiced her thoughts better.

"Doesn't she look... lonely to you? I mean, the more I'm around her, the more I feel really bad for her."

"That's normal. You're helping someone and they look sad. It's a classic damsel-in-distress move that girls do all the time."

"Oh, and you're the girl expert?" Yumi smirked.

"Of course, if I weren't, who else would be?" Odd asked.

"A girl?" Ulrich, Yumi, and Jeremie all answered and laughed. Odd's fussing was largely ignored as they strolled towards the edge of the campus.