Chapter 7

Amy

I've spent the last four hours with Human Resources filling out all my paperwork, followed by a company orientation where I've been struggling to stay awake. The old guy leading it needs to retire. He's terrible with technology. I thought this was supposed to be a marketing company, I scrunch my nose up in irritation. Don't you have to be good with tech to work in marketing now? I don't get it, but I'm just an intern. My opinion wouldn't matter at this point. I heave a sigh in annoyance as I push my chair back from the table and watch as the small group of new employees walk out of the conference room.

I begin gathering my things and pull my phone out of my purse. I quickly snap a picture of myself with a disgruntled look on my face. Then I type a quick caption. "That feeling you get when you know your questions would fall on deaf ears. At least I can look good doing it." I slip my phone back in my purse and grab the orientation folder off the table.

"So what are your questions?" Preston inquires, from just over my shoulder. I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from making a face. I can't believe he's looking at my phone. What if that was private? I need to watch what I'm saying from now on, my blog included.

I take a deep breath to calm myself down as I stand up with my folder in hand and slip my purse over my shoulder. I spin on my heel and face him, pasting a bright smile on my face. "I just have some questions on the tech programs you use. I just don't think Mr. Simms is the right person to ask," I rephrase.

He pauses, staring at me, before he chuckles softly and nods in agreement. "You may be right about that," he mumbles. A smile spreads across his face. "Well, that's the perfect opportunity for us to spend lunch together, don't you think?" he proposes.

"Of course," I instantly agree.

"Let's order and have lunch in my office," he suggests." I nod in acceptance and we begin to stroll in that direction. He leans down, his cheek next to mine as we maintain our pace and whispers into my ear, "You're right though, you look damn good doing it."

I pinch my lips tightly together, forcing a grin as I attempt to keep my irritation to myself. We stop at the desk right in front of his office. A beautiful woman with light brown hair and eyes glances in our direction. She glares at Preston and then turns to me, smiling. "Hi, you must be Amy. I'm Polly," she introduces herself and holds her hand out for me to shake.

I shake her hand and reply sweetly. "Hi Polly."

"I'm Preston's assistant if you need anything," she announces, as she gives him a look of disgust.

I arch my eyebrows in surprise and glance at Preston for direction. "She's also my sister," he explains, his jaw clenched. "Disregard her attitude."

I giggle, suddenly amused. "Ah, I see."

He ignores my comment and informs her, "Polly, we need you to order lunch for us and let me know when it's here."

She hands us a menu without saying a word. We look it over and give Polly our order before we slip inside his office. "She's nice," I begin, wanting to hear his reaction.

"She's annoying as fuck, but our dad wants us working together. She just started at the beginning of the summer, so she still has a lot to learn," he reveals. "But she always thinks she knows better," he grumbles.

I nod in acknowledgement and move to sit in one of the chairs across from his desk. "Not today," he states. He wraps his arm around my waist and guides me to a black maple, rectangular table, he has pushed up against the wall, opposite the picture window, with four matching chairs surrounding it, two on the same side. He pulls out a chair for me to sit down and I lower myself into the seat. He sits down next to me, but on the short side of the table. "Ask away," he insists.