Chapter One

I can do this. I can do this. I've faced evil murderers, I've been kidnapped, I've been tortured. I know I can do this. It's only a high school. Yet why were my hands shaking so much? This is the first time I've been scared. This is insane. I'm acting stupid.

Wiping my sweaty hands on my new jeans, I stepped through the doors.

It was much noisier than I expected, and a lot more crowded. I wondered how I was ever going to find him in this huge crowd.

I took a deep breath, letting everything sink in. Without all my weapons, without everyone knowing I was a big shot, without being an assassin, I was just a normal teenage girl. I could do this. I could do normal. And, plus, I still had the small gun tucked in my left boot and my knife in my right boot. My bobby pins were pointed enough to pierce through a brick wall, my finger nail polish was mixed with poison so I could scratch someone and knock them out.

I still had my weapons. I would be fine.

My eyes scanned the crowd. Ambrose Mathew. I needed to find him and kill him. Easy as pie. Done it a million times. Though Ambrose was a level twenty monster. The highest I'd ever faced was a level twelve and she was hard to beat. She nearly killed me.

What if Ambrose did kill me? I wasn't ready to die yet. I still haven't fallen in love or had kids or done anything that I actually want to do. The idea of death was for some reason suddenly horrifying. I'd never thought about it before.

I tried to block everyone and all the noise. But with my highly sensitive ears, it was just about impossible.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and looked at the cream colored tiles on the floor. I could feel the cold phone, only used for emergencies. Is getting sick all over the monster an emergency? I'm going with yes.

When I stepped into the classroom, power suddenly hit me like a train. I could barely breath. My eyes started to hurt, my heartbeat pounded in my temples and I nearly tipped over. The power radiating from him was overwhelmingly strong.

I couldn't tell who the power was coming from and I just wanted to get away from it fast. "Please take a seat," the teacher said, glaring at me. I nodded and saw that there was only one seat. I took a seat beside a guy.

Another wave of pain washed over me and I nearly fell over. The boy beside me grabbed my arm and fire spread through my body. He pulled me back up and stared at me. "Hey," he said, his full lips spreading out into a deadly smile.

He had silky blonde hair that fell to his shoulders, dark green eyes that for half a second look almost scared, and pale skin. "H-hi," I whispered. "I'm, um, Natalie." His eyes widened but then narrowed and his smile turned ten times more deadly.

"I'm Ambrose."

I shoved away from him, my eyes wide. Oh No. No, no, no. He was too strong, I could already tell. His power was freaking choking me. I could barely breath.

"What's the matter, babe?" he asked. "Cat got your tongue? Or maybe ... you saw a monster." I sat up strait and looked ahead, cutting off all emotions. This part was easy, the cutting off my emotions. I was good at that. I let out a small breath and focused on the teacher.

Ambrose was still staring at me, smiling. I stopped paying attention to the teacher after I realized I knew everything.

"Natalie!" Mr. Script said. "What's the answer to problem three?" I looked down at the text book, skimmed over the words then smiled.

"Five thousand, seven hundred, eighteen point fifty one." I smiled at him. He stared at me in shock along with everyone else. I got up and took the marker from him. "See, this is what you do."

I filled half the board with the math problem which I'm sure took him a few minutes to do when I got it just like that. "Oh, and your problem over here? Yeah, it's wrong. That five is supposed to be a six. So since it happened right in the middle of the problem, it messed it up. It's actually five hundred million, fifty six thousand, and twelve." I handed him back the marker and the bell rang. "Goodbye, Mr. Script."

I snatched my things off my seat and waved to him as I walked out the door. You still got it, Natalie. No stupid demon can get the best of you, you've just got to have confidence.

Yeah, well, that thought was crushed when I got to lunch. Ambrose was leaned against the wall, beside the door. He grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the lunch room into the boys bathroom.

The. Boys. Bathroom.

As if I didn't have enough anxiety.

He locked the door, making sure no one was in here. "Hunter," he said, his back to me. "Am I correct?" I swallowed back my fear.

"Yes," I said.

He turned suddenly and shoved me against the wall. "You're so weak, though," he said. "I can't believe they sent someone like you. I ripped the last one into shreds." His hand wrapped around my throat and he squeezed hard. "Should I do the same to you, angel?"

I grabbed his hand and broke his wrist in one swift move. I shoved him away and then against the wall, his arm twisted behind his back. I got out the knife which was charmed and held it to the back of his neck.

"I'm stronger than you think," I growled. I jerked his arm just a big higher and then let go. "I wish I could kill you right now, but I can't. Not at school." He smiled.

"I feel the same, princess." Anger built up inside of me.

"I'm not a freaking princess, you idiot!" I yelled. He smirked.

"Sure thing . . . princess."

He turned and walked right out.

I couldn't wait for this kill.

~~~~