Chapter 6- Dad?(Part 2)(short)

I led Marcus to my room, closing the door behind us."Have a seat." I gestured to the bed. He sat, rubbing his thighs uncomfortably."So." I began. "You're really my dad, huh?" He sighed. "Yes. Your mother was very intent on having a child. She wanted to continue your family tree. We'd been secretly dating for a while, and she came to me saying she wanted a child, so we tried for a baby and successfully had you." I had no idea they'd actually been together. I figured it was a one-night stand. "It's very unusual for a maid to get pregnant, or even want a child, so all of the others close to her were eager to help take care of you, you being the first child they'd seen I heard. A few of the older maids who'd had children that were now grown up helped your mother give birth. Let me tell you, it was a sight to see. I passed out twice from all the bloo-" "Ok, ok! I get it!" I cut him off, and he chuckled. "Sorry." After you were born, she cut me off. She stopped talking at me, and refused me to see you again. The least she did was let me choose your name." He smiled. "Nala was my great-grandmother's name." "Then I got bumped up to one of the Head Guards, and I never saw her again. Considering her status, I never thought I'd see you either." He paused, and I sat next to him on the bed. Placing my hand on his, I smiled and said,"I'm really glad we found each other." His eyes watered. "You don't know how happy I am to finally see you again. You're just as beautiful as I thought you'd grow up to be." I smiled, glad to have another parent in my life. He looked around, taking in the tiny space. "So...how is your mother?" He asked hesitantly. I turned away, tearing up. "She, uh, passes away a few years ago." He sat still as a statue, shocked."I'm so sorry, Nala." He murmured. He took my face in his cold hands. "From now on, I'll take care of you. Ok?" I nodded, my heart overflowing with gratitude.
"So, uh," he said, clearing his throat. "What's going on with you and Prince Luka?" It was my turn to clear my throat. "Um." I mumbled. "You need to be careful, Nala." I looked at him. His eyes were hard, and serious. "If you get caught, there'll be unthinkable consequences. You both were lucky it was I who came into the room, and not a different guard. He might've ratted you out." I gulped, thinking of how idiotic I'd been. How could I have been so careless? I ran my hands through my tangled hair. "I'm guessing you already know about the Princess of Franceton, so why would you want to be with him anyway?" He asked. "Princess who?!" I exclaimed.
"He didn't tell you?"
"Tell me what, Marcus?" He sighed.
"The princess of Franceton is coming to the palace next week. The King and Queen will soon be arranging Prince Luka's marriage, and he's to begin courting her." My body turned rigid, and my heart felt as if it were going to burst. Luka...getting married soon...princess.. I suddenly felt very dizzy. "What?" I whispered. "Sweetheart, he's a prince. He has to find a wife for when he becomes king, and he can't marry a-" "Don't." I said sharply. "I got it. Okay? Just don't say it. I know. " I sunk to the ground with weak knees. Marcus rushed to my aid, rubbing my back. "I'm so sorry Nala." I wiped away the hot tears trailing down my face. "Please tell Luka I'm going to be a no-show tonight." "No show? For wh-" "Just do it!" I shouted. Then whispering,"Please." Marcus stood, smoothing out his uniform."Ok." With that, he left. I stayed on the ground and wept, until I fell asleep.