Chapter 6

Marcus's P.O.V.

             What?! She was abused?! I stumble back into the wall, which causes the doctor to put her hand on my shoulder. Then I rush back into the waiting room, and everyone looks at me, but I don't bother I rush to my seat and grab the letter from the floor. I skim through it, then I read a part that makes my heart stop. Charlie and Scarlett were abused by mom!

             I look at Charlie to see him staring at me. Melissa sets him down and I sit on my knees. 

             "Charlie? Did mom ever hurt you?" He freezes, his shoulder tensing up. Tears well up in his eyes and put his face in his hands

             "I-I'm so sorry! Mommy said that if we tell anyone we would be in a lot of trouble." He says, crying even more. I notice everyone around us is as shocked as I am. "Mom said it was Scarlett's fault dad died." I wrap my arms around him, giving him the comfort he needed.

             "When did she start doing it?" I move him in front of me so I can see his face. I wipe away his tears with my thumb and he looks at me.

             "I-I think I was 1." That was 4 years ago! I knew something was up. "Mom didn't hurt me a lot, she hurt Scarlett more than she hurt me." I could feel tears well up in my eyes. Once again, I wrap my arms around him tight, as if the world was going to end. I can't believe it, I was so stupid not to notice. I hear the doctor begin to speak again.

             "If you want, you guys can go into the room to see her one last time. She's in room 204." She said with a quiet voice, enough for all of us to hear her. I gave her a nod, letting go of Charlie, looking at him once again.

             "Do you want to see her?" He nodded his head. I stand up, grabbing his hand, and head to the room. Once I reach the door, I hesitate, thinking about what I'm about to see. Then I open the door, and the sight brings tears into my eyes. I see her there, limp, not hooked up to anything, just her lifeless body on the hospital bed.

             I feel Charlie put his face into my leg, blocking his eyes from the heartbreaking scene in front of him. I hear him start crying, so I pick him up, holding him as if he would shatter if I let go. He wrapped his arms around my neck, his tears soaking my neck. My tears start falling down my face as I get closer to the bed.

             Now that I'm really looking at her, she has a black eye, she's really thin, her arms are bruised, she has a bunch of red marks on her neck. Bruises covered her stomach. The only mark that I was aware of was the burn mark on her chest. I'm starting to think it wasn't an accident.

             Then her arms. Covered in red lines, her own therapy she used until a few hours ago. It felt like someone stuck a knife in my heart. All of a sudden, I felt myself falling backward.

Christians P.O.V.

             I was leaning forward in my seat, my leg shaking. She's really gone and their mom abused them. I can't believe it. I look over at Dylan, who's next to me, to see that he's crying. I didn't notice I was too until I felt the tears fall down my face. He looks over at me, and I could see the sadness in his eyes. Why is he crying? Why the hell am I crying?! I wipe away the tears, and I could feel anger in my chest. I squeezed my eyes shut and put my hands on my head.

             All of a sudden, we all hear a loud thump, then Charlie's panicked voice in her room. Melissa gets up to see what's going on, then my mom follows her. I get up to follow my mom, Dylan following me.

             "WE NEED A NURSE!" We heard Melissa yell. We finally reach the door to see Marcus on the floor, his whole body jerking violently with Melissa kneeling next to him. I look over at Charlie to see him standing there with tears streaming down his face. I hear footsteps behind me, so I look and see 2 nurses and the doctor rushing towards the room. Once they enter