Living Memories II

Ummu Salma was holding Amina's hands when I approached the canteen. In my mind I was wondering what I would say to my sunflower, I believe the right words will emerge from nowhere when we finally stand facing each other.
I developed courage and went directly to where they were standing. I cleared my throat

"Hi..." I said with a little stammer.

Amina looked at me with those eyes that have the ability to put to halt the most confident of minds. When we had eye contact she turned her head away sluggishly, I continued staring at her as if she was a stranger. Ummu Salma smiled and said

"What are you guys doing, youd better talk. Oh I now understand why I should leave you alone."

She left of us there. I moved closer to Amina and looked at her closely, she raised her head and when we had eye contact she smiled shyly. It was the kind of smile that could make a driver lose control on a highway.
I finally broke the silence

"Hi Amina..." I said with a cold voice.

"Hi MK." She replied with a soft voice which has the power make a rock soft. Her voice was as soft as that of Dolly Patton in the song "Islands in The Stream."

I stood there with my sunflower not knowing what to say next. I was deeply thinking of what to say and I knew she had expected me to say something.
I was finally saved by the sound of bell calling us back to class. We turned to the direction of the class together secretly looking at each other, when one turned the other would quickly face his front. I was filled with joy for finally getting my sunflower back.

After school we trekked to the junction together like we used to do before the trespass by MB Liverful into our lovely lives.

"I'm glad to see us walking together once again after a long time Amina." I said with my head focused on the way.

"Yeah me too MK." She replied. I could sense the relief in her voice.

"Do you know how much I missed walking with you to the junction?"

"I wont lie MK, I really missed your absence"

"I think I missed you more Amina."

"Let's just say we all missed each other MK."

"Do you know what I have been through?"

"No. Tell me."

"Alright lets just leave it. We missed each other equally."

I said that not because I believed she missed me more but because I didnt want to narrate all the nasty things I did. We finally reached the junction.

I had to say it before she left, I looked at her and said with a little stutter

"I... llllove you Amina."

She gave me a heart melting look and replied

"I love you too MK..." With her palms covering her face.

She quickly ran and entered a cab and left. I stood there feeling like the happiest boy on earth. I reached home smiling all the way that day, even Mum wanted to know what was so amazing. Thanks to Ummu Salma for reuniting me with my sunflower.

I can't forget the time when we went on an excursion to the National Museum and Arewa House. That day I sat close to my sunflower inside the long crowded bus, I was sitting by the window while she was sitting by my side.
We first stopped at the National Museum, we were shown many historical objects. We saw the blacksmiths forging jewelries from gold and silver. I asked the blacksmith

"Sir, please how much can I get a silver ring?"

He looked at me with surprise "Yaro I have one here with me but I don't think you can afford it."