Chapter 15

Carter

"How long does the tech team need to get the video part of the recognition system up and running?" I asked Marta once I was seated inside the office. This alarm had really shaken the Rock and it turned out to be completely unnecessary.

"They say they need another two weeks," she answered with a sigh. "We're just going to have a little more vigilant until then."

"It's not the vigilance I worried about. The last time the alert sounded, the tension in the place was unbearable for weeks. I still remember how parents would be overprotective of their children. I mean I get it but it went to a point where some of them bunkered their apartment and kept their children locked inside a full week. I mean talk about unhealthy,' I said as I remember the past events.

"I know, and considering today's events I'm sure they're pressuring themselves to go faster. There's nothing we can do other than wait," she continued. I could tell she was as frustrated about the situation as I was, but she was right; this was out of our hands.

"By the way, there's something I wanted to run by you," she started, "There's a new mission I want to set up. I heard the Demons are trying to start selling drugs on the Crusaders' territory. If that actually happens and they find out we're going to have a gang war in the city and we all know bystanders are going to get caught up in the crossfire," she explained.

"Sure what did you have in mind?" I asked before hearing her enumerate the different steps of the plan. Everything seemed well organized and no doubt we'd be able to pull it off, but it was a risky plan so the last sentence of her discourse had me balling my fists.

"I think Stella would be perfect for the job," she finished.

"Why does it have to be Stella? She just finished her first mission this week. Why not take Candice?" I asked, already feeling stressed about this ordeal.

"We need a new face they haven't seen before, and we obviously need a girl for this to work. So you're right the choice lies between Candice and Stella. Except Stella scored much higher in deception and manipulation during class compared to Candice," she stated, pointing to the score sheet she had in her hand.

True to her word, Stella had scored well above average in these two disciplines. I couldn't believe my eyes, she didn't seem like the type. Maybe I'd try asking her in the future.

I was about to agree with her when a knock sounded on the door.

"I'm sorry, I can come back," she said before she turned around to leave.

"Non-sense, we were just finished. How can I help you?" Marta immediately said. I knew for a fact that Marta had a soft spot for Stella and I'd be a hypocrite if I said she had no effect on me either.

I could tell from the way she avoided eye contact with either of us that something was bothering her, but she was having a hard time speaking about it. I was about to offer to leave and give them some privacy when she spoke.

"Elsa and I are heading to the store in a bit-," Marta didn't let her finish that sentence already ready to give her a yellow envelope. No wonder she was feeling uncomfortable, I'd never seen her ask for anything and here she was needing money.

"Oh that reminds me, I was going to come and give you this later today, but since you're here you might as well take it," she added with a wink. We usually didn't hand out these 'salaries' until the end of the month but Stella was an exception. Actually, all newcomers were exceptions, they often received it the day after the welcome party. Hence today, so this wasn't actually a favor Marta was doing her.

Stella was wearing her usual sportswear today, but I had a feeling something was different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I might not have figured it out, but as I looked over her for tell signs I noticed her shape had changed. She'd put on some healthy weight since she arrived, filling the hollows that had settled between her cheeks and ribs. Her body was toned from the hours of training she did both in class and during her free time. It was a reminder of just how beautiful and dedicated she was.

I was about to look away not wanting her to label me as a creep when her chocolate brown eyes met mine. I could see the confusion in them, and a light blush coating her cheeks. She truly was a precious gem I couldn't help but think. The moment was short-lived and soon enough she started speaking to Marta again.

"Nonsense, I'll keep an eye on her." I heard Marta say as I turned back into the conversation. She went ahead and grabbed the baby monitor while Stella justified herself.

"I shouldn't be too long so she should still be asleep when I get back." It felt like progress already. She used to be much more resistant to others helping her.

"Where are you going?" I asked realizing she was going to leave the protection of the Rock. I guess I was just as affected by yesterday's alarm as the rest of the people in this building.

"Does it matter?" she answered, the chill in her voice surprised me. She must have noticed because she quickly added "Sorry, that came out wrong. I'm not sure, Elsa's taking me to a store close by. I need to buy some things." I'm not sure what I'd said that had made her upset. I thought we had made progress yesterday, but perhaps that had just been in my head.

"Don't worry about it. Would you like me to come as well, as a precaution?" I offered. While it was her choice to make, I hoped she would say yes. The last time she was out of the Rock was for her mission and I'd been there to keep an eye on her. I knew Elsa was a capable agent but I selfishly wanted to keep her in my eyesight to make sure she kept out of harm's way.

Unfortunately for me, I realized my thoughts were one-sided when she denied my suggestion. I briefly noticed the look Marta was giving me. I'd worked with her long enough to know what she was asking and gave her a reluctant nod.

"Stella, come see me, once you're back there's a new mission that could use you," Marta then said, already making me regret my approval just now. If I couldn't let her go to the store then I'd definitely have a heart attack during her next mission.

She nodded before making her way out, leaving me with a smirking Marta.

"What?" I questioned when she kept looking at me smugly.

"You tell me, I'm not sure I've ever seen you this protective over a girl," she stated teasingly.

"I have no idea what you mean," I answered fainting nonchalance, but even I knew she made a valid point. One that I'd rather ignore until I knew where it was coming from or how to control it.

"Right," she continued dragging the word, "I think you forget I'm positioned at the security cameras during the alarm," she reminded as her eyes dared me to find a good excuse for bringing the girls to the boiler room.

"Whatever," I brushed up as she chuckled, knowing full well I had no retort to that. "Don't we have some footage to review and some adjustments to make to our defense?" I asked rhetorically in the hopes of changing the subject.

Luckily she didn't push the subject further, but the smile on her face stayed for the next hour as we worked.

Marta and I had finished going through the footage and were reviewing our defensive plans when the sound of my phone ringing interrupted us.

"Hi, it's Stella. There's a robbery in progress where we're at. Elsa says to tell you it's fine and that they'll handle it," she started, while her voice didn't tremble I could tell she was frightened by the situation and my heart jumped to my thought at the thought of someone harming her.

I was out of the office before she'd even finished speaking. The next thing I heard through the device had my blood running cold.

"Who the fuck told you, you could lake a call bitch!" he yelled at what I imagined was a scared-looking Stella. The line went dead right after, making the vein on my head inflate from the excessive pulses.

'Please don't hurt her' I chanted to myself even if I knew no one would hear me.

Up to Chapter 26 already available on my Patreon for those who do not wish to wait for the free update ;) www.patreon.com/cloclovilla (the link is in my profile)