Chapter 17

As I sat walked into the bathroom hoping the warm water would help with the soreness in my body, I was hit with the realization that with the fight and the robbery, we hadn't actually gotten what we wanted.

My hair was still golden blonde and I hated it. I sighed, I guess I'll find some other time to go, but I had been so excited and relieved to finally get back some normalcy that it was a hard blow to swallow.

It's just hair dye, I tried brushing it off, but even I knew It was more than that. It was symbolic of the first step forward. It was a physical reminder I could receive each day when I walked into the bathroom in the morning.

Instead, I was met with the reminder of the atrocities Marvin and his gang did to me. Marta had taken one look at me before telling me we could discuss the mission tomorrow, and I could tell why now.

My throat was red laced with traces of purple, while my knuckles were bruised from the punches I through. My hair coming out of my tie left and right leaving me looking... like the girl I was in the basement I realized as my heart grew heavy. The thought alone nearly made me release my fist against the mirror, but the laughter of my daughter in the other room stopped me.

Luckily for me, the steam soon blurred the reflection surface and I turned away to get my beautiful angel.

As I got her undressed, I checked that the temperature of the bath wasn't too warm for her, she had been really good and Marta was disappointed to see her go when I came to get her after my trip to the medic. They'd been playing on the floor, where Marta had set up a recently bought rug.

No doubt she'd be ready to spoil my daughter if I let her.

Once Katya was back in her birthday suit, smiling and wiggling I lifted her before dipping her tiny feet into the now filled tub.

She squealed happily at the sensation and just like that my foul mood left. I sat down in the bath making sure to keep her against me as she hit the water with her hands playfully. It reminded me to add bath toys to my shopping list for the next time. She deserved everything in the world, too bad I couldn't afford everything yet.

I took some soap in my hand and started making soap bubbles around her as she stared in amazement, clapping her hands together and letting out little oh's and ah's. The fact that she was already pronouncing syllables reminded me of how fast she was growing.

Soon enough she'd be off to college and exploring all the world has to offer. I thought to myself. I wasn't sure how it worked here, but I promised myself to get out of here as soon as it was safe so that at least Katya could have a good life. She'd get to meet her uncle and her grandfather, I thought as my head flooded with happier times.

We stayed in the bath for a few more minutes making she we were both squeaky clean before drying off with the soft white towels available. I was beyond busy these days, between training, classes, missions, and trying to deal with my mental health, but I tried to still be there for my darling. She was the ray of sunshine that could pierce through any gloomy day. I was lucky to have her.

I was sitting on my bed later that day scrolling through my phone to see what classes I would have tomorrow when a text message arrived catching me off-guard.

Carter- How are you feeling?

I hadn't expected to hear from him. I could feel the blush spread on my face at the thought of him checking up on me after today's events. Get over yourself, he probably sent the same message to Elsa and Eva, I quickly reminded myself.

Stella – Like I've just been in a fight.

I answered feeling quite proud of my answer. His answer was nearly immediate and I sat there eager to read it. Damn, this captivity thing sure had me socially retarded.