Chapter 6 - Boom

Boom

Upon becoming the Hokage, Naruto learned that occasionally staring into space was a big part of the job. Having a private one-on-one with yourself was sometimes the best way to go over a complex issue. Naruto was basically having a summit meeting in his head that evening.

"You still thinking about what Yusano Hanimura was going on about?" Shikamaru asked while filing documents into one of the office cabinets.

Naruto spun in his chair, mimicking his own thoughts somewhat.

"For the record, I'm calling BS on every word that came out of that guy's mouth," Shikamaru continued.

"You think he was lying?"

"I hope he was lying. Otherwise, he's just insane. You don't really think what he told us about the 'bird' was true, do you?"

"What he told us might end up putting his head at the top of every powerful yakuza clan's hit list. I doubt he'd take that type of risk just to mess with the Hokage and his chief adviser's head."

"I think you're going out of your way to believe that guy, Naruto."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because... Yusano's a lot like you. He's got a son who hates him for, what he perceives as, ignoring his family." Shikamaru closed the cabinet. "…and he's got a daughter who he loves more than anything else in the world."

Naruto watched his chief adviser open a new cabinet, and finger through folders while slipping documents in. He started staring into space again.

'Yeah... That Yusano really does love his little girl, doesn't he?' he thought.

                                                                                        ~~~~

The first thing anyone who entered the Hanimura estate would notice was the constant chirping of birds. Everywhere you turned, you would find a birdbath, a nest nestled in the branches of a tree or the remnants of egg left behind by a recently hatched fledgling. Many feathered creatures called the Hanimura estate home, and they joyously flocked around Ryoma when she returned.

Ryoma raised a finger and hummingbird landed on it. She scratched under its chin.

"Did I worry you and the others? I hope none of you lost feathers over me," she said with a smile.

"The birds aren't the only ones, Ryoma. Everyone in the clan has been fretting over your absence" Shojiro said.

Ryoma glanced at her brother before returning her attention to the bird. She knew one person who probably hadn't batted an eyelash since she went missing.

"Did Father say anything when I disappeared?" she asked her sibling.

"He displayed his concern through other methods..."

"Just say 'no,' Brother. I'm already ten years of age. I don't need you to feed me your half-lies."

Shojiro gave a disheartened sigh as Fudai escorted the siblings to the main house. Upon entering, they found a traditionally dressed young woman waiting at the entrance.

"Welcome home, Lady Ryoma. Everyone in the clan is relieved by your safe return," the chief of staff Tomoe said.

Ryoma bowed back humbly. "I apologize for worrying you all. I shouldn't have gone out without a guardian. Forgive me, cousin Tomoe."

Tomoe nodded. She approached her third cousins to take their coats and jackets.

"Tomoe, has our father returned?" Shojiro asked while removing his sandals.