Beauty Marked Part 29

I was excited to find out about my past, what I truly am, and my what the future had in store for me once I knew. If I truly did have a family; I was getting ever closer to finding out. Talus had brought me into Fortre, the sealed off province for marked. Where I belonged, and where Talus knew of someone who had all the answers I was looking for. I had asked over and over when we could go and see this person, ready to jump out the door, but both Talus and Quinn had wanted me to rest a bit longer and get my strength back up a bit more. I couldn’t say I misunderstood their reasoning. I did almost die. If Talus hadn’t brought me here I probably would have. So I conceded to hanging around Quinn’s for the day.

After a bit Talus came up to me out of nowhere, “Elise.” He called my name. Him calling to me, it reminded me of something. But I couldn’t place it, a dream perhaps? Regardless, I felt myself getting warm. Was I embarrassed he was using my name? I turned to look at him and he had a slight smile on his face. “What?” I asked somewhat cautiously, I didn’t know what had made him smile, it was nothing but endearing but came from out of the blue. “This isn’t like Bernard’s, you don’t have to stay locked in all day. If you want, you and I can go look around town for a bit...as long as we stay together” I felt my glow coming back to my body as the room lit up both physically from my skin and with my joy. “Look around, together? Just for fun?” Talus nodded, “I wouldn’t want you running off and not getting my payment after all, but beyond that...after I take you to see them tomorrow...you won’t need me anymore.” My heart stopped for a moment.

“Oh but uh...well who exactly are seeing tomorrow?” I asked hesitantly. Talus looked towards the door. “It’s as I said, the only people I know of in Fortre to have all the answers. Once you see them you’ll know everything you need to know, and my job will be done.” The way he said it was so calm. Inside I was a mess of emotion. I would know everything tomorrow, but Talus’ job would also be over would I… be losing him too? He looked back at me and winked, “Which is why I’ll grace you with getting a tour of the town from yours truly” he teased. I could only smile in return. I didn’t know what would happen after today, but more than myself, I now wanted to know more about him than ever before. This...may be my last chance. “Now whose acting like a spoiled prince?” I teased back

He looked at me flabbergasted, “Who dragged your unconscious butt all the way here!?” I just laughed before smiling and looking into his gorgeous purple eyes. “Thank you. For doing that I mean, and yes I’d like a tour of the town very much.” Talus nodded and held out my cloak for me to put on. I looked at him confused. “Your glow, still is unusual to most marked, don’t want you to get a lot of attention just yet while everything is still new to you.” He explained. I walked to him and allowed him to help me into my cloak he held open for me. I felt his hands graze across my arms and a surge of warmth went through my body I didn’t expect. I did my best to stifle a gasp. Talus didn’t say anything about it...maybe he just didn’t notice?

As we headed out the door Quinn came down the stairs. “Heading out on a date you two?” I felt my face heat up. I hadn’t even thought of it like that! Talus was quick to rebuttal, “It’s not a date! I’m just gonna show her around town!” Quinn smirked, “Oh really? That so? Well you show her a good time then.” Talus grit his teeth as his face seemed slightly flushed,“Damnitt; I said it’s not like that!” Quinn looked at Talus and then winked at me, “Like what?” Talus certainly was steamed by Quinn’s teasing, but seemed to know he’d been duped and dropped it all at once, “Tch, whatever old man...we’ll be back later.”

With that he grabbed my hand and headed out the door. That warmth seeped up into my arm chasing away any cold or uncomfort. Talus again didn’t seem to notice or said nothing as he pulled me out of Quinn’s and onto a main street. “This is the back side of Fortre, not all folks here are bad, but don’t for a second think they’re nice enough to turn your back on. Most of these guys would pickpocket you in a second” His statement took my sight away from our interlocked hands to look around.